Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· site supporter
11,490 Posts
The Second Amendment protects the fundamental right to own a firearm. The Attorney General of the US has no power to trump that constitutional guarantee or to amend the Constitution. Congress, which has been very effectively lobbied by the NRA and other groups is the only entity in a position to erode gun ownership rights -- and they won't. Especially after the US Supreme Court declared the D.C. gun legislation unconstitutional last year.

Organizing opposition to Eric Holder's nomination is simply a scare tactic that right wing groups are using to shore up the flagging paranoia of their base. Apparently some red-blodded real Americans people have been distracted from the drum-beat of "the liberals are going to take your guns; burn your churches and turn your children into homosexuals" by the recent unpleasantness in the economy.

Pay closer attention to things that could really disrupt your lives.

· Registered
880 Posts
The Second Amendment protects the fundamental right to own a firearm. The Attorney General of the US has no power to trump that constitutional guarantee or to amend the Constitution. Congress, which has been very effectively lobbied by the NRA and other groups is the only entity in a position to erode gun ownership rights -- and they won't. Especially after the US Supreme Court declared the D.C. gun legislation unconstitutional last year.

Organizing opposition to Eric Holder's nomination is simply a scare tactic that right wing groups are using to shore up the flagging paranoia of their base. Apparently some red-blodded real Americans people have been distracted from the drum-beat of "the liberals are going to take your guns; burn your churches and turn your children into homosexuals" by the recent unpleasantness in the economy.

Pay closer attention to things that could really disrupt your lives.
The Heller decision really didn't settle much. It would not preclude a future assault weapon ban at the federal level, for example. The decision did nothing to incorporate this narrowly defined right under the 14th amendment to serve as a restriction on state government action, either.

I agree with you that there are much bigger fish to fry right now, but don't pretend that the Heller decision will do much of anything to protect us gun nuts from "reasonable" restrictions on firearms ownership and carriage. Moreover, it's the president and his AG who get to decide how to dedicate resources for enforcement and how existing laws will be enforced.

I just hope Obama and the current congress realize that they stand to lose more votes as gun controllers than they do if they just keep quiet on that front.

· Registered
8,702 Posts
I went to a local gun store here in CT yesterday. The owner said that he had, in the last several months, sold hundreds of AR-15s and that every one in the store ... about 20 .. were sold.

He said that he literally couldnt keep them on the shelf and was having a hard time getting them in as demand was so high around the country.

Fear of Obama/Pelosi/Shumer etc .... or fear of economic collapse?

Both I'm guessing.

· Banned
4,173 Posts
I went to a local gun store here in CT yesterday. The owner said that he had, in the last several months, sold hundreds of AR-15s and that every one in the store ... about 20 .. were sold.

He said that he literally couldnt keep them on the shelf and was having a hard time getting them in as demand was so high around the country.

Fear of Obama/Pelosi/Shumer etc .... or fear of economic collapse?

Both I'm guessing.
Same thing happened when Billy Clinton got voted into office. People were buying up all the assault riffles, and before the 'ban' the prices on AR's skyrocketed to 2~3 times sometimes more the original MSRP. Though I would think the panic buying this time 'round is much worse.

I don't think any body in this administration has really addressed any gun law issues, have they? I think you guys are worrying for nothing.

· Registered
1,721 Posts
I don't think any body in this administration has really addressed any gun law issues, have they? I think you guys are worrying for nothing.
Obama has made many statements on gun control issues. You just have to look for them since the media buries them. Like this gem

"..Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban.." -Oct 2004.

Make no mistake if a bill is presented before this -ahem- president to ban certain firearms he surely will sign it with glee. This is a man who supported a handgun ban in his home state, and felt that the DC ban was entirely Constitutional. In fact, he believes you should only be able to buy one gun a month (Bill Cosponsor - Oct 2007), and would make it harder for you and I to obtain a permit (Jan, 2008.). So please don't try and say Obama has no gun stance. He most assuredly does, and it is anti all the way. The entire concept that one needs a permit to exercise a fundamental right is in and of itself ludicrous. But Americans gobble it up because they are always "thinking of the children".

Makes me retch.

· Registered
880 Posts

I think BO is smart enough to realize that it's best to keep quiet on guns for a while. Don't expect him to sign any pro-RKBA legislation, but at the very least he'll probably remain silent on the issue until he's confident that it won't cost him too many votes. There are enough "purple" areas on the electoral map to make him think twice about repeating Clinton's mistakes.

The whole thing is just as much a petty culture war as it is out of genuine concern for public safety. It is every bit a crusade against those "cousin humping ********" as it was when GWB was doing everything in his power to provoke the "latte-sipping cosmopolitan elite".

· Registered
8,702 Posts
http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/urban_policy/

Crime and Law Enforcement

• Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

· Registered
880 Posts
http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/urban_policy/

Crime and Law Enforcement

• Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.
Yeah, I remember that was on the transition team's website for about a day. It was removed for about a week or two, and then it was put back on the agenda after all the smoke cleared.

Repealing the Tiahrt amendment alone would be very bad news. "Gun show loophole" is just code word for ALL transactions, including purely intrastate transfers. Lotsa bad stuff on the agenda... but I think BO has bigger fish to fry, at least for the next year.

· Registered
669 Posts
While the assult rifle ban as in place you could still buy an AK, the stock was jsut modified to be both stock and grip. Stupid, stupid, law. But I would support increasing penalties for use of an assult weapon in a crime. I think the NRA is a little too influenced by the gun manufacturer lobby. There are differences between gun owners and gun maker's agendas.

· Registered
1,801 Posts
While the assult rifle ban as in place you could still buy an AK, the stock was jsut modified to be both stock and grip. Stupid, stupid, law. But I would support increasing penalties for use of an assult weapon in a crime. I think the NRA is a little too influenced by the gun manufacturer lobby. There are differences between gun owners and gun maker's agendas.
i owned an mak90 "sporter" with the thumb-hole stock. only came with 5 round mags too.

as the owner of many firearms i don't really have an issue with background checks, waiting periods or quantity limits over periods of time. some sort of effective legislation has to be enacted to get firearms out of the hands of criminals and to avoid the purchase of weapons to resell on the black market.

i hate the nra and their no compromise stance. we have a serious issue with gun violence in this country and something needs to be done about it. the nra gives the common gun owner "nutjob" status in the eyes of those that don't enjoy/understand firearms. it would be nice if some alternative ideas were put forth concerning gun control rather than just the usual knee jerk reactions like "they'll have to pry my gun from my cold dead hands".

i used to drink the nra kool-aid and still have a few choice pieces packed in cosmoline and tucked away where only i can find them but really there are enough firearms out there in this country they they will never be hard to find, they will never go away, and they can never just take them from everyone. so all the paranoia the propagate is for naught.

· Registered
8,702 Posts
I agree that the NRA is extreme. I disagree with them about just about everything except some core gun issues. I dont like to associate myself with them in any way, but find that I must in order to shoot at my range.

That being said, Washington liberals are out to take away guns and gun rights. We cannot pretend otherwise.

Yes there are more pressing issues at the moment .. and I knowingly voted against my gun rights when I voted for Obama. But I will criticize him and his administration till the end of time when the gun grabbing begins.

When will democrats learn to let this issue rest?

If they want another 4 years, they better think long and hard about inflaming voters such as myself.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.