Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

481 - 494 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's 1:30 AM and I just finished reading the whole thread.

Tell your cast of two to keep up the excellent work.

:)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
It's 1:30 AM and I just finished reading the whole thread.
Going back and reading my comments such as "He'll be fine" and "He's an adult. I'm not his mom" makes me cringe. If I had to go back I wouldn't deny helping either of these guys if they asked for my help. But I would definitely make stipulations. 650R guy, although he didn't go to the last day of the MSF course, had much better success with his beginners learning curve. KB just doesn't need a bike. In general. But then again he is one of many. At least he's not on a gsx-r 1000. :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Going back and reading my comments such as "He'll be fine" and "He's an adult. I'm not his mom" makes me cringe. If I had to go back I wouldn't deny helping either of these guys if they asked for my help. But I would definitely make stipulations. 650R guy, although he didn't go to the last day of the MSF course, had much better success with his beginners learning curve. KB just doesn't need a bike. In general. But then again he is one of many. At least he's not on a gsx-r 1000. :p
I think you did and are doing fine. You can offer advice and lead them to good choices, but you can't make them drink. You're dealing with some guys that,, despite taking advanced classes and doing well in them, are very immature. They can't connect their choices to the possible physical consequences.

I think it's admirable that you've stuck with them and continuously offered a voice of reason. You may have already saved them from severe pain and suffering. Maybe one day you'll finally get though. But, if you don't and something bad happens to them, don't take it out on yourself.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think you did and are doing fine. You can offer advice and lead them to good choices, but you can't make them drink. You're dealing with some guys that,, despite taking advanced classes and doing well in them, are very immature. They can't connect their choices to the possible physical consequences.

I think it's admirable that you've stuck with them and continuously offered a voice of reason. You may have already saved them from severe pain and suffering. Maybe one day you'll finally get though. But, if you don't and something bad happens to them, please tell us about it.
Fixed^ ;D

·
Registered
86 Posts
wow... great thread, however, there is always this huge sense of tragedy looming over every post.

that being said... i mean... the comment about start helping them and stop enabling them is probably the one that rings the most true here. if any of my friends took your friends attitudes towards riding i sincerely would have just told them that i wouldnt help them at all because i wouldnt want to have anything to do with their deaths.

first thing i did before i got my bike was get right onto youtube and watched as many motorcyle crash videos as i could find to remind myself what exactly i was getting into. maybe you should try that with you friends...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Wow.. Life got crazy for me after the rally... Bought a house and work has been nuts. But I did think you guys would appreciate this story. :p

As for katana guy, he got the DUI thrown out in court. He has a big-boy job now and told me recently he was going to sell the bike because he said rain is seemingly always on the forecast. 650R guy still has the bike and is getting married soon. Haven't talked with him in a while..

This story regards all new characters. A buddy of mine (BMW guy) had a TT600 (100+ hp triumph inline 4 supersport) listed for trade on CL. A guy (Kid) messaged him wanting to trade a BMW 5 speed convertible for the bike. Kid told BMW guy over text that the title was signed by his parents but they were OK with the trade. He said he was 17.

When we pull up to the gas station, the two kids immediately start gawking over how beautiful the bike is. Cosmetically, the bike is trash. It was previously tracked and the fairings have velcro stripping in 3-4 different places to cover up holes/cracks in fairings. They didn't care at all. Literally didn't even stand closer to the bike than 5-6 foot away before they said they were OK with the trade as long as BMW guy was.

BMW guy drove the BMW and everything checked out OK. The titles were swapped. I asked Kid if they were riding the bike home and he said "Yes". He was in jeans and a t-shirt. I looked over at his friend and asked him if he was riding on the back. He said "Yes". He is in shorts and a t-shirt. I asked Kid's friend how old he was. He said "15". I told Kid he was a liar and that there was no way he was 17. I demanded to see his drivers license and he said he didn't have one. He finally admitted that he was 16 but did have a valid driver's license but didn't have it on him. Luckily, BMW guy has several helmets and had brought all of them to see if the guy needed any. He gave both kids helmets and gloves and told them to keep them.

The kid said, "Man, when I saw that blue bike on Craigslist, I knew I had to have it. That bike is beautiful! That blue makes the bike. I didn't look at any others after I saw it. One guy wanted to trade a 600RR for the car but it was red. It didn't look anything like that blue!"

I was scared to see him try to drive the bike. This 16 year old kid claimed to have driven a 600 f4i in the past but I didn't believe him. I figured he was going to immediately dump the thing. Instead, he got rolling in first without issue and within the first 5 seconds of being on the bike he was "pumping" the throttle from full-on to full-off at low rpm. :facepalm: He took it out on the highway for a test run and seemed way over-confident on the bike. I would have felt better about the transaction if he had dumped it.. lol

So the kid and his buddy drove off on a 108hp supersport i4 with no insurance, no tag, and no drivers license. BMW guy gets a text the next day from Kid that says he hit the front brake too hard and the bike slid out from under him and it is now unridable. He is taking it to the shop on Monday to get it fixed.

BMW guy got the car registered in his name this morning. I still don't know how to feel about this whole ordeal - But I do know one thing.. I would have never given that kid the bike no matter how much I wanted that car. This thread definitely made me learn my lesson. ;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thead may not be over. There is a reasonable chance the transaction may not hold up in court if it comes to that. Contracts with minors are usually not enforceable. So many errors there that it is almost laughable.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I would not sell a bike (any bike, even a 50cc dirt bike) -- to someone under 18 unless I had first talked to their parents about it, and made sure they were confident that their kid could handle the responsibility that comes with it. But, that's just me.

EDIT: And Lt1 is right... when you do business with a minor, you need to make the contract with their parent or another responsible adult, for it to be legally binding.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
Bmw guy did talk to his father. Just not in person. He was knowledgeable about bikes and didn't mind his son selling the car. The father even told bmw guy about some of the parts that were recently changed on the car. They had a good 10 minute conversation. Could have been a counterfeit but still. We were expecting the dad to be at the gas station when we got there..

481 - 494 of 494 Posts