Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to have a SV and loved it but my husband(at that time) could not get the bars back enough even with bar risers so that I didn't have so much weight on my hands that they wouldn't go to sleep. I should say that he had to lower the bike as much as he could for me to ride it as I am only 5'3" with short legs. With all this said I loved the bike but he sold(even though I really didn't want to) it to get me a Versys that does sit me more upright but is to tall even though it has been lowered and with a lower seat. Now my husband of 38 yrs. has decided he wants out so now I have the Versys and I am thinking about going back to the SV because I loved it.

This time I am going to get someone to replace the brake line and clutch cable etc so the bars can be raised more so I will not have the weight on my hands. With this being said what year bike should I be looking for in a used bike? I know a newer one the better but is there something the older ones don't have that the newer one does? Thank-you for any help on getting a new bike.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The big thing to keep weight off your arms/hands is to support yourself with your core muscles. Consciously gripping the tank more with your legs will help. (Having tank grip pads is a huge help; I was amazed at the difference recently when I rode a bike that didn't have any.)

As for which model years...

'99-'02 are the first generation. Curvy. Carbureted.

'03 is the beginning of the second generation - pointy and fuel-injected - but is something of an oddball transition year; a number of parts are unique to the '03 (mainly the subframe and related things, like the seat).

'04 is the last year for silver frames. '05+ have black frames.

IIRC, '07 is when they switch to dual plugs (4 spark plugs total, 2 per cylinder).

First-gens and the '03 have different footpeg/rearset arrangements in N vs S models. Later 2nd gens have the same setup for both.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
07 and on had ABS as an option. Not all of them will have it.
ABS may make it a bit harder to fit a different rear shock. Extra tubing under the seat.
Nice to have though.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
is there something the older ones don't have that the newer one does?
The only really significant things from a riders point of view are the mentioned ABS and that the 03s have the tallest subframe/seat height, so they´re not your ideal starting point. The rest is more aestethics and/or personal religion (carbs vs. FI for instance).

What SV did you have? If it was an naked with (hopefully) shaved seat and the lines were maxed out, the handlebar height should´ve been quite extreme already.

BTW I´m less comfortable high bars of my DR650 than with my SVS clipons. :)

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 06 naked bike. But I have short arms as well as legs so I need the bars back further than just one set of raisers. I didn't have to shave the seat after lowering it. I was able to flat foot it with bent knees.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What year miles condition etc. got pictures. Need info before I would know if I am interested.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I would agree that you need to learn to grip with your legs and hold yourself up with your core. You need to do that on any bike and keep weight off your arms. Whenever I am riding, I constantly make sure I can flap my elbows to ensure I am holding myself up with my core and there is no extra weight on my arms. You should watch Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II and he will show you exactly what impact weight on your arms has on your ability to control the bike and the wear and tear it puts on your body. As far as which SV, I would go 07 and up. I had an 07 and loved it. If you get a good deal, 04 and up is fine. I would avoid 03 because it is the oddball and anything before that still has carbs. Some people like them but I prefer FI.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with the FI that is the reason I had the 05. I understand about the gripping with my legs but when we ride for 6-7 hr days my legs can't take that. I don't know that I have that much weight on my hands as the position or angle of my wrist, not sure. Just want to try pulling the bars back a little further.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I agree with the FI that is the reason I had the 05. I understand about the gripping with my legs but when we ride for 6-7 hr days my legs can't take that. I don't know that I have that much weight on my hands as the position or angle of my wrist, not sure. Just want to try pulling the bars back a little further.
Hit the gym more, get a cramp buster or find a bike that is actually setup for 6-7 hour riding days. A sport tourer would be much more comfortable for that much riding. I never did more than 2-3 hours at a time on my SV.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
So situps and leg lifts.

Any "sport" styled bike will have a forward position which will require you to hold yourself up with your core. Your problem will most likely be fixed with exercise instead of bike mods.

I do the same thing as LAX. Every few miles I'll move my arms around to make sure I'm not putting any weight on them. I still catch myself doing it every now and then.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
^^^ What these guys said - you need to get off your hands. I had all the same issues as you and it all came down to using my core to support my body instead of my arms. With a sport bike, this is imperative. I rode for about 9 hours a few weeks ago and with some breaks it's do-able! :) Crampbusters are also a huge help.

Try Pilates! This will teach you how to engage your core.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Bahahahahaha!

Um... Forgive my ignorance. How is that little person going to catch the bike at stops? Carry a bunch of phone books to throw down at each stop?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts