Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've spent sometime going through the topics on this forum, used search a lot and still have a few questions about the riding gear. I never had any and I'm a new rider. The majority of the rides I'm going to do is commuting and joy rides around the state (I'm in Pacific NorthWest)... Anyway, my original set of gear was:

- Scorpion EXO-700 helmet
- JR Speedmaster 5.0 perforated leather jacket
- JR Blaster 2.0 perforated leather pants
- Olympia Ultra-1 winter/rain gloves and somthing like Cortech Scareb RR as summer glove
- Sidi Vertigo Rain boots

That list was based on reviews I read in the net before I read this site and tried other stuff in the local stores. After I did that, it broke a few items in this list and I've got more questions :)

Helmet... I tried EXO-700 large and medium and did the same with Shoei RF1000. Both helmets in large configuration are not that snug as i understood (when I was shaking my head right and left i could feel that the helmets slip just a few millimeters, so i tried medium. both are snug... EXO700 is uncomfortable to the "pain" level on my chicks. the shoei was better but still pressed pretty hard on my chicks and the comfort level was not there :(. Should I go with Shoei medium and hope that it'll be better once it broke in? Or large and just eat more? :)

Jacket... I tried A* GP PLus and loved it. Not having whole bunch of the graphics was a plus and the feel of the quality and fit was really great. It's not perforated, so I'm looking towards NYC, Stage and SP-1 perf leather jackets. Any comments on those will be highly appreciated.

Pants... It seems A* does not make the perf leather pants... it has textile but I would rather stay in leather... is there any option of attaching A* to the pants of other brands without replacing the zipper? Anyone has luck in that?

Boots... I'm staying with Sidi.

Gloves, I think as well...

Help? :)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you're going with perforated leather, I'm guessing you'll be a hot-sunny-summer-day rider only? Come on... Commutes in the PacNW, you need to be able to adapt to varying weather. Anyway...

Helmets... Just keep trying on different helmets until you find the one that's comfortable. Don't get caught up in reviews. Some one else's opinion doesn't mean diddly if you can't stand to have the thing on your head.

Boots... I love Sidi bicycling shoes, but haven't been able to stomach the cost of their motorcycle boots.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Keep trying different helmet. You'll find the one that fits you best. I've had a Shoei, HJC and now Suomy. I'll never wear anything else now that I found the one that fits me best.

Sidi's are the Cadillac of boots.

JR....meh if it fits wear it, if not try something else. A* is good stuff. You might look at Vanson for an option.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Boots... I love Sidi bicycling shoes, but haven't been able to stomach the cost of their motorcycle boots.

I just don't get Sidi. Love the fit and all, but $250-400 for mountain bike shoes while I can get full motorcycle boots for $220 - WTF is up with that? OK, maybe carbon soles are expensive, but full boots have to be harder to make than a mountain bike shoe.

Sorry for the rant, but I just dropped some serious coin on some Sidi dominator 5s (dominator 6s are over $400!!!!!) while getting Strata Vertigo Airs for almost the same price. There seems to be much more technology and material in the Motorcycle boots than the bike shoes.

Love their stuff, but don't understand the ridiculous prices on cycling shoes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're going with perforated leather, I'm guessing you'll be a hot-sunny-summer-day rider only? Come on... Commutes in the PacNW, you need to be able to adapt to varying weather. Anyway...

Helmets... Just keep trying on different helmets until you find the one that's comfortable. Don't get caught up in reviews. Some one else's opinion doesn't mean diddly if you can't stand to have the thing on your head.

as of our rain here i thought about some rainsuit.... my colleague at work has FirstGear textile that he rides year round. it looks solid, but I did not note that it's snug on him... he crashed it twice though so I assume it works. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry for the rant, but I just dropped some serious coin on some Sidi dominator 5s (dominator 6s are over $400!!!!!) while getting Strata Vertigo Airs for almost the same price. There seems to be much more technology and material in the Motorcycle boots than the bike shoes.

I find it interesting that my mountain bike cost $5,000 as did my road bicycle and I picked up an 01 SVS for $2,700. Which took more engineering? Granted my bicycles have carbon parts and the mountain bike is state of the art. But an engine is complicated too.

Marc

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you like the EXO-700, Newenough.com sells different thickness cheek pads for about $12. For thinner pads, buy the ones for a helmet size LARGER than the one you wear. Maybe 2 sizes larger.

Cycle Gear sells perf leather jackets and pants. Frank Thomas brand. Some people put it down but mine have been good and Cycle Gear will replace anything defective with a new unit.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I love my Scorpion Helmet. I had the same "pain" factor for the first week or two of wearing it...but the cheek pads break in and I felt like the helmet was much more contoured to my head once they did. I like the brand and just got the Scorpion Stinger Jacket and am looking to get either a new EXO 700 or 1000.

Here is a review I wrote on the EXO 400...

http://2wheels2nuts.blogspot.com/2009/03/review-scorpion-exo-400-helmet.html

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
By all means get your helmet FITTED!!! Make sure you use the proper measuring tape and get an accurate size of your melon. Fit that part first and make sure it's right, then go to the cheek issue.

I speak from experience...bad EXPENSIVE experience. I was helped by a dipsh!t at a cycle shop that put my wife and I into two Shoei RF1000's that after several long rides over a few months ended up settling and exposing their oversize. I initially complained that a large RF1000 was way to tight in the cheek so he put us into the next size which felt much better. He never even mentioned that the cheeks were replaceable.

Start with a helmet that is designated for the size of head determined by the tape measure just above the eyebrow.

I'm in a large EXO1000 now and my wife an XS after me being in a XL and her in a MD. The cheek pads will settle though. You might try the EXO1000 as you can pump up the cheeks with the air pump on the chin

·
Registered
51 Posts
The helmet is better snug and uncomfortable then loose. You gotta also understand that the cheek pads should break in a little bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not realize that I could adjust the "size" of the helmet bu using different size of the chick pads... I'll go to the local store and will try the large helmet with the bigger pads. I'm looking at the sizing info from the scorpion and shoei... my head is 23" and it falls in between the large and medium helmets. I'll see if the pad size will change it for me... on the side note both of the helmets are good. the shoei feels lighter. People say it's quieter too... I'm going to use ear plugs... so that should not be the issue. as of jacket suggestions I'll check those brands as well. thanks!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Have you seen/read about the Puma 1000v2 boots? I don't have 'em (don't think many ppl do) but they seem to be pretty good. I've been thinking about them (too bad they don't have blue) Here's a good review about them, they are up there with Sidi if not higher

I read you mentioned you staying with side but just something else to look at.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4149

As for knee/chin protection this is what I'll be getting soon (along with the Puma? maybe lol)

http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_worn_on_the_body/icon/field_armor_leg.html

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
oops double post...sowwy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Start with a helmet that is designated for the size of head determined by the tape measure just above the eyebrow.
that's exactly how I started... I'm exactly 23"... the scorpion measurments are:

22 7/16 - 22 13/16" MD 7 1/8-1/4 57-58cm
23 1/8 - 23 5/8" LG 7 3/8-1/2 59-60cm

Shoei:

M 7 1/8 - 7 1/4 57 - 58 22 1/2 - 22 7/8
L 7 3/8 - 7 1/2 59 - 60 23 1/4 - 23 5/8

I'm falling in between for both and that's exactly how it feels when I put them on.... medium is very difficult to put on and I get the pain in the head. large is easier and it feels like the right size, but when I shook my head left-right it shifts for a few mm... that leaves me puzzled. :(

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I just don't get Sidi. Love the fit and all, but $250-400 for mountain bike shoes while I can get full motorcycle boots for $220 - WTF is up with that? OK, maybe carbon soles are expensive, but full boots have to be harder to make than a mountain bike shoe.

I've yet to pay more than $100 for my Sidi cycling shoes (I've got 3 pair -- Lazer's, and two pair of T2's, one of them carbon soled). So you can see where I'm coming from on the ridiculous pricing...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
that's exactly how I started... I'm exactly 23"... the scorpion measurments are:

22 7/16 - 22 13/16" MD 7 1/8-1/4 57-58cm
23 1/8 - 23 5/8" LG 7 3/8-1/2 59-60cm

Shoei:

M 7 1/8 - 7 1/4 57 - 58 22 1/2 - 22 7/8
L 7 3/8 - 7 1/2 59 - 60 23 1/4 - 23 5/8

I'm falling in between for both and that's exactly how it feels when I put them on.... medium is very difficult to put on and I get the pain in the head. large is easier and it feels like the right size, but when I shook my head left-right it shifts for a few mm... that leaves me puzzled. :(
The EXO1000 might solve that dilemma with the chin pump. EXO's have replaceable liners so you could refresh the fit periodically. As much as I love the RF1000' their flaw is that they don't. Shoei should really get their sh!t together in that department 'cuz you have to step up to the X11 to get the replaceable liner.

How 'bout Arai?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I find it interesting that my mountain bike cost $5,000 as did my road bicycle and I picked up an 01 SVS for $2,700. Which took more engineering? Granted my bicycles have carbon parts and the mountain bike is state of the art. But an engine is complicated too.

Marc
My mountain bike cost almost as much as my SV and the brake pads are significantly more expensive than for a car! Economies of scale...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I spent MONTHS researching gear, recommendations, fitments, etc. etc. etc. I went to a shop and tried on all sorts of jackets (I treated jackets like most people treat helmets). I used to play hockey right? So I know what happens when you go down onto something, and you dont have the padding set right. (For example, I remember having a GIANT welt on my elbow from hockey because I fell, and the elbow pad wasn't tight enough, and shifted when I got hit, so I landed on bone). So when I tried on jackets, the first thing I did, was test for initial relative comfort. Then I moved around, everywhich way. Flex your arms into crazy positions like you would in a crash, and also as if you were riding the bike. MAKE SURE THE ARMOR STAYS IN PLACE. I tried on 2-3 A* jackets and a Dainese or two. When I would rotate my arms, the elbow armor would shift a little (just like it did in the hockey example) so I knew that if I fell, that I could be hitting the road with just leather between my bone and the road. Then I tried on (at the sales persons suggestion - he'd been doing it for 7 years) this speed and strength jacket. www.ssgear.com Anyway - i moved, did my thing, every which way. Felt alright. Dropped a size. Then another. Still comfy? Check. Now - lets move around. Whoa, the pads are in PERFECT positions no matter where i move, they move with the joint. I knew I had the right jacket because the armor stayed in a protective position no matter how I moved around.

To be honest, I think all gear should be as anally and exactly fit as most suggest a helmet is. If it doesn't fit right, it's not going to WORK right. That's why custom leathers are highly suggested, because its tailor made to fit you.

Bottom line is, if you think it doesn't fit, or it feels odd, try it on again, and check the armor spots when you move around. If the protection isn't staying with the area its supposed to protect, check a new jacket.
From a previous thread about Jacket fitment.

Helmet fitment is very similar. The helmet should be able to move a tiny bit (it shouldn't SQUISH you) but that's all, it should be very snug. the RF1000 WILL BREAK IN. Mine was very snug when I first bought it (it's a medium) but it breaks in. Do NOT let other people wear that helmet. It has memory foam (?I think its foam?) in it that will form to your cheeks over time. Also there are different sized cheek pads and such, so if after break in it doesn't fit right, you can replace those. Also check the date on the SHOEI's - supposedly you want them as recently made as possible.

I have heard very good things about the Shark helmets too. But NOTHING compares to physically trying on gear.

I have A* boots and gloves, and I love them, the boots especially. The gloves are a breaking in a bit now, and are quite a bit more comfortable than they were. I can't help you much on the leather pants. I'm currently using Icon knee/shin guards under plain old denim. I would highly suggest leathers tho, or at least Denim with kevlar in it. I know my jacket won't zip into A* or Dainese pants, but I use a Speed and Strength jacket (ssgear.com) it's great because it fits.

Hope this helps a little. Just remember, when in doubt, it's all about fitment...well and CE rated gear....and abrasion resistance. :p

Also...remember.... ATGATT. Gear is useless if it stays in the closet. Everytime you get on the bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts