Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I stored my bike for the winter. This is my first time doing this, and was wondering what needs to get done after it sat for so long.

I'm putting on new brakes and putting in new oil...

Is there anything else I should do?

(It's an 02 S with 12000 miles. It was in storage from Nov. to today.)
Thanks.

·
Chief Greeter
28,485 Posts
Hi serenade, You should be fine. Did you leave gas in it, or did you drain it?

My off-road bikes sit and they fire up fine, don't do anything special, been doing that for over twenty years.

Edit, my off-road bikes don't have batteries, lol. :D

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Charge the battery before you try starting it.

If you didn't drain the tank or add stabilizer, well, it's gonna run rough for a few tanks of gas, if it starts at all.

Add half a can of SeaFoam for the first tank of gas, then another half for the second tank. This will help clean out any gummed up jets.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
California has a winter now ??? I did not know that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha. It only got to like 36 degrees this winter. I put it up because I moved to some apartments and I don't have a garage now. So I didn't want it to get rained on and stuff. So I put her away. Anyways....

I DID leave gas in her, BUT I have ridden it like 4 times while it was put up. I rode it today also, so the battery is fine. I'll put the sea foam in it and we'll see how it goes.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
So, basically, you put it in a garage and only rode it every couple weeks and only on nice days?

is it a harley? you should be good to go. lose the chaps.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, basically, you put it in a garage and only rode it every couple weeks and only on nice days?

is it a harley? you should be good to go. lose the chaps.
Haha. Just for 2 months. Actually I'm glad I did. There was some rust on a few spots of the bike even though it was covered the whole time. If I hadn't put it up, who knows what would have happened. I miss my garage.

I changed the oil, brakes, and put sea foam in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts