Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horns not working I know its not the fuse because the brake lights are working and they're on the same fuse..i bought a relay but I dont know how to hook it up right with the button can someone help me?

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I'm not sure I follow your diagnostic logic.

Horn inop.
Fuse good.
Add relay?

Did you try hot-wiring the horn to make sure it works? Do you have power and ground at the horn when the button is pressed? Is the switch working?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the harness has no current. The fuse is good. I dont know how to check the switch I dont k ow much aboit wiring. I was gonna use a relay and just bypass the old one and hook it too the horn but I dont know which wire id hook to the horn button. I need a wire diagram but cant find one

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
What year is your bike? I can post the schematic.

When you say "the harness has no current" do you have a multimeter and did you measure voltage directly at the horn contacts?

There is no relay on the stock SV650 horn, it is push-button direct connect to 12v. Is your horn stock?

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I'm still confused how you can read a diagram and wire up a horn relay but not know how to diag the bike as is?

I once had the horn stop working when the contacts in the horn switch got a little burned from use. A little bit of sandpaper and a dab of dielectric grease solved that. I also had the horn stop working once when it fell off the bike. :oops:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
What year is your bike? I can post the schematic.

When you say "the harness has no current" do you have a multimeter and did you measure voltage directly at the horn contacts?

There is no relay on the stock SV650 horn, it is push-button direct connect to 12v. Is your horn stock?
Yes its stock and I have a 07sv650s. I mean at the blade connectors have no current I can figure out where they go. And I dont know if the buttons nessed up either. I bought a relay for it I was gonna run one wire from the horn to the ground on the battery and one to the button and run a wire from the button to the positive on the battery.. Its hard to picture by reading it but do u think thatd work?[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Do not add a relay or modify any wires just fix what is wrong.

As golden chicken said, first verify if the horn itself is working. Remove the horn then jump the contacts to the battery. If no beep then replace the horn.

If the horn is ok then the problem is in the wiring, the most likely fault would be the horn button itself.

Use the wiring diagram below to 1) verify ground, 2) check for 12v along the horn circuit path. If you need help locating or testing then post again.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
A test light is a highly recommended tool. For $2 you can quickly and easily diagnose 12V circuits.

Some day when I have time I intend to do a video series showing how to diagnose common issues on the SV with a test light.

The basics are that you clip to the negative post on the battery and poke it anywhere you should have battery positive and if everything is good, it'll light up. So then you just use the wiring diagram and follow the positive wire around the bike. Or you can start at the horn and work your way backwards to the switch. The horn fuse is the same as the brake lights so if those work, then you should have power at the horn switch. If you don't, then you have a broken wire somewhere. If you do, then push the horn button and see if the power makes it to the other side. If it doesn't, then the switch isn't working properly.

You can also clip it to the positive post on the battery and then poke the black/white ground wire at the horn to verify the ground side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts