Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 that was involved in a head-on collision that trashed the headlight assembly, gauges, and handlebars. The guy I bought it off of tried to repair the gauge housing with epoxy and had everything disconnected before I bought it. I am trying to figure out several of the wires that are loose. With the harness that has the lights for the gauges there are 3 more wires I am not sure where they go. There is an orange with green tracer and a black with yellow tracer that have a ring type connector. Then there is a black with brown tracer that must have broke loose from somewhere. I know from looking at the schematics that at least one of these should go under a screw on the back of the gauges, but which and where? When I plug the harness in and start the bike the oil light works. The small lights for neutral, etc. seem to be working (I have not taken to time to figure out which light is what, but the neutral light works and the others come on with the key). I still have to find the bulb size for the larger bulb that sits behind the speedometer. Then as a second part to this, there is a second 2 prong connector with the headlight harness. It has a brown and a black with white tracer pair going into it. From the wiring diagram this is listed as a position light. I do not see where this would connect to though. I would like to see if I can get this to pass a salvage/rebuild inspection before I start to rework the bike to run on the track. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Orange with green tracer - This is the hot supply to several lamps (front and rear brake lights, neutral indicator, low oil pressure, low fuel warning, coolant high temperature) and to the horn. In the gauge housing it would connect to several lamps. There should be a plug in connector. If that connector is gone and the aim is to connect directly without a connector then tie the orange/green to one side of each of the neutral indicator, low oil pressure, low fuel warning, and coolant high temperature lamps.

There is a black/brown tracer that runs from the throttle position sensor to the ignitor. I don't see any other black/brown in the gauge or headlamp cluster. Can't help with that one.

Black/yellow tracer comes from the front coil. It is the signal to the tachometer.

If you have an S then the connector with the brown + black/white tracer would go to the position indicator. If it's a naked it doesn't plug into anything. You can use it as a spare hot supply and ground.

All the instrument indicator lights should come on when you turn the key on. This is to test that the bulbs are working. Once the engine starts only the neutral indicator should be lit. All the illumination lights are on whenever the key is on whether the engine is running or not.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Does that include the high temp light?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the info. I did find that the orange/green was hot-I touched it to the bar on the front stand and blew a 15 amp fuse. duh. Mine does not have a plug type connector though. It has a ring connector. As far as I can tell, it looks the same as the other so I am guessing that it is original. Maybe it plugs to one of the screw connectors on the back of the gauge? I am guessing then that is why the brake light is on solid?

The black/yellow then would connect to the screw connector on the back of the tach. And that would make sense why the guy told me the tach was broke. Just not connected, so it would not register anything.

I have no clue then about the black/brown. Once I get the others put right, I will have to try to trace down where it goes. I thought the manufacturer would try to keep things standard with the wiring harness.

Probably will not have time tomorrow night since I am scheduled to work. I do have all day Friday and I will look some more then.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts