Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy picked up an 00 the other day, bike sat for ~4 yrs and has 1036 miles on it.  Had bad gas in the tank.

Drained/flushed tank, put in new gas, when starting it, fuel would pee out of two hoses that appear to be overflows on the carbs.

Came up with theroy that varnished float bowls were causing the flooding.

Got idea of using compressed air to blow into those hoses, along with carb cleaner, then repeat process using fuel intake hose to carbs, causing the entire bowl assembly to become saturated in carb cleaner, and basically flushed/backflushed the fuel system.

After we did this, the bike stopped peeing out fuel.  It is now running better as well.

Short of pulling the carbs out (he is trying to do a track day tomorrow?!?!) which he and I have no experience with on this bike, I suggested that he feeds a very strong mixture of berryman's B12 (toluene) and fuel, runs it at a fast idle, e.g. 2k rpm for about 30 min, then takes it out for a good Italian tune up.  At the end the bike will either run OK, or it will still be gaffed up from sticking needle/float, rust in tank, etc.

Any suggestions would be helpful because our plan is somewhat McGyverish....thanks!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Berryman's will dissolve lots of stuff, including any O-rings and plastic gaskets. Also, I think the floats may be plastic, not sure. At any rate, I wouldn't try running B-12. Carbs, fuel pump, petcock, fuel lines would all be at some risk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
andyauger said:
Berryman's will dissolve lots of stuff, including any O-rings and plastic gaskets.  Also, I think the floats may be plastic, not sure.  At any rate, I wouldn't try running B-12.  Carbs, fuel pump, petcock, fuel lines would all be at some risk. 
What is so different about this application vs. automotive application? We did 2 oz. berrymans to 1 gal gas.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
What's different? Nothing. I wouldn't take the chance, and I wouldn't put Berryman's in a car's gas tank either. Will it mess anything up? Don't know, but it sure could. I've seen plastic floats shrunk up and crumpled, gaskets and O-rings swollen. In any case, if the carbs were gunky enough that the floats and needles were stuck I would doubt that running a small amount of B-12 in the fuel would cure the problems. There are small passages in the carb that may be plugged badly enough that no fuel (or B-12) will get into them.

I'd drop the carbs and soak them in B-12. It's academic now since the track day has come and gone. What did you wind up doing and how well did it work?

I was fighting a problem on a race car with a friend of mine once. We kept looking for an easy way to solve the problem. We wasted a lot of time poking around, finally arriving at the conclusion that if we had just pulled the cam out to begin with the problem would be solved and we would have spent a lot less time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I noticed you mentioned rust in the tank. If you don't get that cleaned out properly then you will have carb problems forever. The rust will contaminate the jets.
Just FYI.
Good luck with the bike.
Mikemo

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I think your chances of making it any better are about the same as chances you'll make it worse.

Buy a set of good condition carbs here or off Ebay and swap them out.

J

·
0 Posts
Take off the carbs buy some "gumout" carb and choke cleaner, a carb rebuild kit and go to work. Take em all abart and spray the sh1t out of everything. And the reason it was peeing out gas is cuz the floats are stuck or your needle and seat are bad. (might wanna but those too) After you clean everything replace the new gaskets and reinstall and tune.
It takes a bit of time but it is cheaper than new carbs or having then professionally done.
+1 on getting the tank clean. Be sure it is SPOTLESS before you even hook the gas lines back up to the carbs or you will be tearing them apart everyday!! And a in-line fuel filter might not be a bad idea either just to make sure that no more shit gets into the carbs

Just a suggestion

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: So he ran a great track day on the bike, it runs good WFO but somehow has major backfiring on deceleration. We rode yesterday and it was pretty funny. I question if he is going to bang up the exhaust valve or some other part depending on when it is backfiring. He has it down now to where if he wacks the gas, then hits the brakes, then it will backfire. It's a new stunt I think. I keep telling him to just have the carbs redone, the bike was $1000 so it's his to gain or lose by running the bike as is now.

Next step is repalce fuel filter and see what happens.

J

·
0 Posts
if its back firing it is running to lean!!!
might wanna clean em again and when you do that you might as well bump up the jets while your in there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts