Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed a Penske shock with a reservoir ( 8981 ) . The one I received has a hose on it approx. 5.5 inches long and I'am finding it very hard to find a good place to mount it. I will be sending it back in the next day or two to swap it out for one that has a longer hose. I believe if it has a longer hose I can make a bracket to mount it to that will bolt on to the rear passenger foot peg.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I mounted mine behind the passenger peg for now.
I like JPDD's position better .. he has an 04 so I will take another look to see if my 05 has that bar across.

If I do this, it looks like I will need a hugger.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Currently said:
If I do this, it looks like I will need a hugger.
+1 That's the 1st thing I did when I got my Penske...it really does keep that whole area clean.

·
Registered
687 Posts
JPDD said:
+1 That's the 1st thing I did when I got my Penske...it really does keep that whole area clean.
i still cant figure out how you mounted that up . :-\ i am sure its something i am missing . i don't think i have that bar on my 04 .. dam you penske for having such a good shock. i don't know what they where thinking with the shock ass line ! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I took a good look at mine today ...

I have an '05 with a Penske 8981 and I am almost sure that bar that JPDD is talking about is above the
tool box.

Do I get rid of my tool box? It would be a perfect place for the shock.

As for under seat storage, there isn't any, barely enough room for plastic bag with manual, registration and papers.

I will be writing up a procedure on how to set sag and preload with pictures.
I made a jig and it works pretty good on trapping measurements!

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Currently said:
I took a good look at mine today ...

I have an '05 with a Penske 8981 and I am almost sure that bar that JPDD is talking about is above the
tool box.

Do I get rid of my tool box?  It would be a perfect place for the shock.
The metal bar is under the plastic tray...you can see it in this blow up from bike bandit (this is an 04 schematic).  If you follow straight up from screws 3.5 and 4.5 it connects the two lower frame rails.  That is the bar i attached it to. You have to detach (it doesn't need to be cut)  the piece of rubber that runs the length of the bar and then strap the resevoir onto it with the metal clamps.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic~dept_id~1308308.asp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts