Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed buell dual headlights.

took apart my wiring harness and removed all unnecessary wires (at least those i think are useless now).

have an SVS
used to have 2 dual fillament bulbs with 3 wires each (one ground, one low, one high).. i think.

new buell lights have 2 monofilament bulbs with 2 wires each. one should light for low and both for high.

i just cut off the wires going to my old headlight #2
took the 3 wires going to my old headlight #1 and sent the ground to each of the new buell bulbs, then the low beam hot lead to new bulb #1 and the high beam hot lead to new bulb #2.

the i plugged it all in.

low beam works great. one light lights up. when i switch to high beam, i blow the fuse for the high beam circuit and both bulbs go dark.

this is not ideal.

any help??

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
This may not be what you want ,
but I just spliced the high beam wires to both headlights so they are always on

G

·
No real help here other than to confirm your wiring logic is correct.

It sounds like the high (yellow) is shorted to ground somewhere; disconnect it at the bulb and see if the fuse still pops. If not, break out the multimeter. You should see around 2.4 ohms on the (+) side of the bulb. If you're blowing the fuse you'll probably see zero (fuse is rated for 180W max).

Hope that helps...

:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good news I think I found your problem!  I believe the Jigsaw in the bottom of the pic you posted had something to do with this issue ;D ;D ;D
Sorry no more help than nc_650, but what did you need the saw for???

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nc_sv650 said:
No real help here other than to confirm your wiring logic is correct.

It sounds like the high (yellow) is shorted to ground somewhere; disconnect it at the bulb and see if the fuse still pops. If not, break out the multimeter. You should see around 2.4 ohms on the (+) side of the bulb. If you're blowing the fuse you'll probably see zero (fuse is rated for 180W max).

Hope that helps...

ah ha .. this makes a lot of sense.
i think i was an idiot and left my 'customized' wiring harness rather uninsulated and in a giant knot.
i will wrap in tape and retry.

thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zip650 said:
Good news I think I found your problem! I believe the Jigsaw in the bottom of the pic you posted had something to do with this issue ;D ;D ;D
Sorry no more help than nc_650, but what did you need the saw for???
had to make a couple brackets out of alumiium stock. i use the jig because i'm lazy and won'y use a hand saw.

i was able to use my new dremmel. that was exciting. it involved steel and sparks! ;D ;D

G

·
If you're gonna clean up the wiring anyway, consider heat shrink tubing. It's cheap and easy to work with and will buy a little more weather protection than electrical tape (e-tape also gets pretty nasty as it ages!)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey, Mike, if you need to use a multimeter today before I see you, I think mine is in my red toolbox. If not, there's a possibility it's on the disaster that is my desk somewhere, but I'm fairly sure it's in the box.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
yellow650- it looks awesome. once its all said and done, let us know how the lighting is.
and somepics showing the bracket design/attachment as well.

if we had karma, you'd be getting an applaud from me right now.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dackler said:
yellow650- it looks awesome. once its all said and done, let us know how the lighting is.
and somepics showing the bracket design/attachment as well.

if we had karma, you'd be getting an applaud from me right now.
will do. you're avatar would get good karma from me if it were possible.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
turns out it was shorting in the wiring harness. fixed that.

but now i realize how the stock lighting works. at low beam just the low fillaments in the 2 bulbs are on. at high beam just the high beam fillaments in the 2 bulbs are on.

so.... now when i switch to high beams the left Buell light turns on and the right turns off. kinda sucks.

we came up with a few ideas. one is to connect the two circuit loops (the ones going to left bulb and to right bulb) with a diode. this should make one bulb light up on low and 2 bulbs light up on high.

any one have any experience with diodes? do they make them to handle ~15amps?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts