Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem
I am struggling with flexibility of different seat positioning (on tank, in middle, rear of seat) versus "feeling one" with the bike. It seems that I can lock myself into one seating position and have greater control or continue to keep my three sitting positions options open. I love having weight off my arms but my legs/torso just don't seem to be gripping enough. Normally I'm in the middle of the seat but I sit up on the tank if I'm in heavy traffic or when I otherwise want to have quick control. I sit on the rear of the seat on the freeway, on long trips, or if I'm crouching down.

Addressing Problem to Date
My stock seat was modded by Spencer's seat mod to be slightly lower for my 5'7" height with a slight bias towards a "middle of the seat" position. I have stomp grip pads on the tank and SVracing parts rear set riser plates to get my feet up and back but my knees are still below where it seems they should be for optimal control.

Possible Future Solutions - Feedback Desired

1. Raise my rear sets up another 2-3 inches (may not be easy to do) to give my legs better grip on the tank. Maybe svracingparts adjustable rear set can achieve this?
  2. Severely raise the curve of the rear of the seat and a bit in the front such that my sitting position is locked in the middle. Guess this means sending the seat back to Spencer.
  3. Install grip pads on the lower portions of the tank and even on the covers just below the tank near the seat (that hide the rear brake reservoir)
  4. Find a more "sticky" seat cover material
  5. Install a seat cowl pad

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Thanks for any/all suggestions!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
When you scoot back, are your knees in position are are they still too low?

I think moving your rearsets a little bit forward should bring your knees up.

Any specific scenarios where you're looking for more feeling with the bike? Where is your weight mid corner?

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
I'm 5'8 and I was thinking the other day "man, I wish my pegs were like an inch forward and and inch up."

...but I only really think like that when I'm just lollygagging around and looking for the most comfortable/efficient seating position.

When I'm in traffic, I catch myself scooting up towards the tank. I move back once I get underway.

Once I start hanging a knee out (not touching down, I just feel better in curves doing it) then "seating position" becomes sort of a nebulous idea. All three positions could occur between corner entry and corner exit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Make sure you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs, this not only moves your knees up, but gets your feet out of the way some and allows you to push your knees up to grip the tank as necessary.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Where are we supposed to be keeping our body weight? I've read in the Yoda riding article that weight is supposed to be centered over our feet. Is this right?

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
I almost always ride toes on pegs, unless I'm in heavy traffic. I still feel like bighammer's hammergrips or techspecs or whatever would be slightly too high on the tank for my knees.

As far as where to put your body weight, I think it sort of depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

If I'm trying to stay comfortable for as long as possible, then I've found that sitting with my body weight ever so slightly behind the pegs--this is because my legs and my hips basically reach a natural limit of flexibility and I get kind of locked into place using the least muscular effort.

If I am riding aggressively, I want my body weight every so slightly in front of the pegs so I can slide side to side or stand up off the seat without affecting the handlebars.

I think all of these tips are more like guidelines and you really need to experiment to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My positioning has only been an issue for me when riding cruisers, the SV (and like) positioning "over the tank" is more comfortable naturally. Your questioning actually peeks interest....am I the only one that has many positions in the seat and fine with all?

Example...when it's hot out and riding in stop and go traffic, I'm a bit back on the seat to allow my air flow between the tank and myself. When on the open roads, hell, it depends on the mood I guess, but usually mid-front seat. And on the twisties...up front and personal ;)

I do ride "hugging" the tank with my legs most of the time....cornering one of my exceptions. I just find I don't suffer from shoulder or wrist fatigue that way.

I just assumed we all rode in what positioning kept us comfortable....never really considered any position being right or wrong. Hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We can pretty much agree that having weight on our wrists is bad form. :D

I think I'm at the point where I can be either sitting directly over the seat pegs, or humping the tank for more aerodynamic positioning. I guess it really does depend on what we are trying to achieve.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs, this not only moves your knees up, but gets your feet out of the way some and allows you to push your knees up to grip the tank as necessary.
Ok tried the riding on the balls of my feet - yes this gets my knees in the perfect position. Are most people able to do this over a long period of time? I guess the muscles adjust to being hyper extended?

I'm 5'8 and I was thinking the other day "man, I wish my pegs were like an inch forward and and inch up."

...but I only really think like that when I'm just lollygagging around and looking for the most comfortable/efficient seating position.
I think that sums up my situation. Guess I'll look into those adjustable rear sets as my next big investment.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Before going to the track .. being on the ball of my foot felt so weird riding .. now 2 trackdays later .. I tried to switch back to riding with the peg in the middle of my foot .. again and THAT felt weird ..

My point is it just take some getting used to. =)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Oh, and the human body isn't design to stay perfectly still in any position for a long time .. so depending on how long your ride is, you'll have to move around and switch pos for a bit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ok tried the riding on the balls of my feet - yes this gets my knees in the perfect position. Are most people able to do this over a long period of time? I guess the muscles adjust to being hyper extended?
It's definitely odd at first. For a while I would only position my feet like this for cornering, but the more I did it, the more it felt right. Now the only time I ride with the pegs mid-foot is when I know I'm likely to be shifting and braking often like traffic.

As was said, on longer rides, especially slab, you are going to have to move around and it doesn't matter so much what your foot position is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update and question.

2007 SV Naked

Got cycle pirate adjustable foot pegs and got them set so my foot is about 0.75" up and forward. I have short legs and am about 5'7" with boots.

Got a corbin seat which dropped my butt down and also created a sweet spot about 75% forward on the seat just before my balls get crushed.

Got sm2 handlebars which puts me into the aggressive position and takes the weight off my wrists/hands just right.

It seems if I had a tank pad about the depth of my hand (1/2) for my belly to rest upon...laying on the tank would be perfect.

Question on general body position in this more aggressive stance for street riding. Should my shoulders generally be forward, back or in the middle? Should my lower back be fully arched (puffing up my chest), hunched over, or in the middle?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts