Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! SV->GSXR frontend steer stem compatibility? (edited)

Hi all!

I'm going to swap my SV gen1 frontend with a 04 GSXR 750 with SRAD triples.
Also i'm going to keep original steering bearings and (i think i can name it so) the steering axle. So i shall remove the original SV steering axle from original bottom triple, remove the srad one and finally insert the SV into bottom SRAD triple, with help of a press and heating.
I need confirmation that diameters of the two axles the same in the part which fits into bottom triple. Does someone did this? I tried to search older threads, but not very confident on the exact terms, i didn't find anything useful.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, not the stem.
I'm speaking of the bottom part of the axle which binds the two triples and pass through the frame.
That axle has the stem and fixing bolts thread in the top area but it's mechanically pushed into lower triple.I need to know if SV axle can be swapped with the SRAD one (SV axle put into lower SRAD triple)

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I think it'd be easier to buy the upper bearing for the SRAD steering stem (you're calling it axle, but we think of axle as the one that goes between fork legs through the wheel) than to remove the SV stem and try to press it into the SRAD triple.

·
Registered
185 Posts
no, not the stem.
I'm speaking of the bottom part of the axle which binds the two triples and pass through the frame.
That axle has the stem and fixing bolts thread in the top area but it's mechanically pushed into lower triple.I need to know if SV axle can be swapped with the SRAD one (SV axle put into lower SRAD triple)
It is called the steering stem and not the steering axle! maybe you will have better luck now with your search ;D

another simple way of figuring out if the stems are the same diameter, if you have acces to the P?n of the bearings that were used on the SRAD triples and the SV triples, if they are one and the same then they shoould be the same dia, ofcourse that doesnt garentee that the portion of the stem that gets pressed into the lower triple are going to match up but should be prety close. I think there are some other members on here who have already done this! Isnt the srad triple a direct bolt on for the SV650? (i might be wrong on that!)

·
Registered
799 Posts
another simple way of figuring out if the stems are the same diameter, if you have acces to the P?n of the bearings that were used on the SRAD triples and the SV triples, if they are one and the same then they shoould be the same dia, ofcourse that doesnt garentee that the portion of the stem that gets pressed into the lower triple are going to match up but should be prety close.
bearing size does not tell you if stem is same inside triple.
which in this case it is not. sv stem is smaller diameter than gsxr where it presses in. also top of stem is smaller than hole in triple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the puntualization about the "stem" word, as you may have guessed, i'm not english mothertongue :rolleyes::D
so, i will look for "stem swap" and so..
anyway, i'm getting different feedback about that: someone says they're swappable, other not. As i have srad triples on my bench and originals on bike, all i can do is to measure visible part of that stem on both. Veee, can you confirm first hand they have different diameters?
As someone already said, they mount the same 30mm inner diameter bearing, but it's not enough to tell if they have same measure into triple

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's called the steer tube.

Yes, you can press out the GSXR one and press the SV one into it's place. It's one of the original ways the GSXR fork swap was done, but now virtually everyone just uses Zoran's conversion bearing.

Unless you have a really good reason to swap steer tubes, just go with the conversion bearing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 1999 SV has an '01 GSXR front end and it was done by the old method of pressing out the steering tube (stem) and putting it into the GSXR lower clamp. It was done many years ago by Chris Baker (BARF forum). He indicated that you have to weld on some material to the SV tube/stem and then machine it down to fit the GSXR clamp before pressing it in. I think you also have to use some sort of spacer for the top clamp. If you are using SRAD triples, then the Zoran upper bearing kit is the much easier way to go.

The confusing thing is, the old method of pressing out the tube is still posted in the Tips N Tricks section of this website. It is a very old post from Zoran, before he developed his bearing replacement.

http://www.svrider.com/tips/gsxr_SRAD_forks.htm

Note: Although my bike is done this way, I don't recommend doing it this way now.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Contradiction here!

Yes, you can press out the GSXR one and press the SV one into it's place. ...
OR

bearing size does not tell you if stem is same inside triple.
which in this case it is not. sv stem is smaller diameter than gsxr where it presses in. ....
:iamwithstupid:

Stop confusing the guy!
Go with Veee information mago.

Just use the SRAD triples as-is and get this special bearing for the top location - specially sized to fit the SRAD stem & SV Gen1 fframe steering head - http://www.twfracing.com/images/steering_head_bearing_lg.jpeg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts