Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a home jet kit with stock intake and exhaust with a possibility for a quiet slip on in the future. I removed the stock 15 pilot and added a new 17.5 pilot. I was planning on 2.5 turns out from seated on each pilot screw but the stock settings were 1.75 turns out on the front carb and 2.75 turns out on the rear carb pilot screws. Should I still go 2.5 turns or should I do 2.75 or more?

As for the rest I'm going with 140 mains and 2 washers under the needle clip. No drilling in the slides. 2002 SV650S at about 1300 feet altitude running everything from 40 degrees F to 95 degrees F in Western PA. Humidity also varies widely. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Idle screw settings are NOT cast in stone. Experiment with what YOUR bike likes.:) Most of the time turning them in and out will change the speed and sound of the engine. I like to adjust each until the engine is running the smoothest. Turn it in until the engine starts to slow down and run rough, then out until the same thing happens. Somewhere in the middle is where you want it to be.

This is also a way to see if you have enough pilot jet in the carbs. If you can open the screw all the way without the engine at least slowing down...your idle jet is too small. You should have control of the idle both ways...lean and rich.

Once you find a happy spot for each jug, count the turns in to the seat and split the difference on both. That should work pretty well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts