Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright y'all.... so awhile back I posted asking about what to do with the excess length in the wiring harness when converting from s to n..... so the past week I've been cutting, shortening and re-soldering..... so I get her all buttoned back up and all my lights and accessory type stuff work... but when I try to start it, it won't fire up. so I pull the spark plug from the rear cyclinder to check if it's firing, and it's not... I feel that I did a pretty thorough job soldering all the wires back together, and I checked the ignition fuse, and I can't find anything apparently wrong.

so my question is: is there anything that I can check before I start cutting all the shrink tubing off and check for continuity? and are there any typical problems like this from shortening the wiring harness that I'm too dense to recongize?

any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm kind of only last limb here, thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
no side effects should arise if all wires were soldered back together properly and all wires are paired with their proper mate. Maybe before cutting into all your heat shrink, you could try finding a wiring diagram to see which wire goes where and limit the possibilities of which wires you need to open. Electrical problems suck! - Keep a cool head (maybe take a break and hit it again another time) and you'll find the problem, and fix it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
buy a manual. suzuki is the best at having all of the troubleshooting laid aout for you. i won't bore you with specifics, but it's the MOST important tool you'll use!

·
Super Moderator
8,612 Posts
Can you give more detail on exactly what wires were shortened? Were they mostly lighting, or were changes more extensive?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I have a haynes manual with the wiring diagram, and it helped a lot to get it done, but now that something is messed up, not so much. it also leaves out the 8 pin and 20 pin connectors....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you give more detail on exactly what wires were shortened? Were they mostly lighting, or were changes more extensive?

the changes were definitely more extensive, I have an 01 s model, and it has extra wiring for the fairing, there are four groups of wires going into four connectors, I think two eight pin, one five, and one twenty pin. one group comes off of both control units, so those would pertain to starting, killswitch, brake and headlights, directionals, high beam and clutch switch.... all of those things work, so I've got it narrowed down to one of the eight pin, and the twenty pin....so who knows... I'm going to try to get back at it tonight...

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
update: both coils are getting juice, just not firing the plugs
I guess the next step is make sure the pick up coil, that is located next to the rotor and tells the ignitor when to make the spark, is connected. There should be a green and a white/blue wire going from the pick up coil to the ignitor box. Also there should be a white and a black/yellow wire going from the other side of the ignition coils to the ignitor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright dudes so once again a cool head prevails..... went back at it tonight and read the manual page for page and started getting curious about the igintion control unit.... I started to wonder where it was on my bike, and why I haven't delt with it so far in my build.... so I look it up, and find the location of it, on my bike it's right behind the tail light... long story short when I was toying around with taking off the rear plastic I disconnected it... and never re-connected it..... totally rediculous...feel like this is my first day on the job....

anyways, thanks for the words of advice, and this forum is proving time and time again to be the most valuable tool for my SV

·
Super Moderator
8,612 Posts
...anyways, thanks for the words of advice, and this forum is proving time and time again to be the most valuable tool for my SV
Glad to hear you got it working! Yes, great forum, lots of helpful people here with lots of knowledge. Must be something about people attracted to the SV!

·
Registered
33 Posts
the manual is your friend buddy. ditch that piece of haynes junk. they get you along only 80% of the way and you end up needing more info than they offer, like what you described with the incomplete diagram.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts