Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My gas light came on coming into work. I left my wallet at home, no I am not going to ask for money that is what I am trying to avoid. I have no manual to my bike b/c whoever stole my bike kept the tool kit and the manual. I read the manual about 3 years ago doesnt it cover the gas light. Does the light flash then go solid when you are real low. Does it give a figure for how low like 1/3 of a gallon? I need to know b/c I don't want to have to borrow any money from anyone here at work and I may be able to make it home. Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
shouldn't you be able to get about 50 miles after the light comes on?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Light goes solid with about .5 gallons left.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
What year is your bike? I think some of the 2nd gens are different from each other as well as different from the 1st gen. My 2002 flashes with around 1 gal left and goes solid with around 1/2 gal left. At least that's what I recall off the top of my head.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is first gen. Man o man I am going to be cutting this close......

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I keep a spare $20 in my trunk with my registration & insurance papers for just such a situation

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's actually a good Idea putting a $20 just in case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
RandyO said:
I keep a spare $20 in my trunk with my registration & insurance papers for just such a situation
+1 something my dad taught me a long time ago when I first started driving. That tip got me back from reno once when my friend gambled away our gas money.

As far as how much gas you have left after the gas light comes on varies from bike to bike. I know that it seems to come a lot earlier in my bike than on other sv's I remember a post about this awhile back too. Seems there is big variance from bike to bike even in the same year and model.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had a moped when I was a kid (the 2 speed honda kind without pedals) anyway I ran out of gas about 2 miles from home and pushed that sucker all the way home. I told my dad what happend and he said "why didn't you use the reserve tank?" damit!

keep the revs down and stay tucked in :)

B

·
0 Posts
If it is 30 miles or less and you light just came on, keep the revs under 5K and go home.

I did 30 yesterday w/ the light on, and I was not very careful with the throttle.

N

·
0 Posts
For me, light flashes at 140-ish, goes steady at ~160, out at 180 miles (43 MPG).

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts