Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

First off I have a 2006 sv650s with a little under 6k on it. No mods except cutting down the stock can a few inches.

story time. I was riding down 81 South from central Virginia to Blacksburg when I hit a rather large storm. Kept riding because I still felt safe. As soon as the storm started dying down my bike started acting funny. It got a hallow noise to the engine, the tach wouldn't budge from 4~5k, and the bike stopped accelerating. In fact I had to open the throttle up all the way to keep my current speed. I pulled over at next exit and BAM the storm was over (welcome to southwest Va weather) and it was sunny. The bike kept not going fast, tach struggling to rise, and acceleration jumpy and slow. I got on some back roads and started trying to air everything out. I found myself full throttle, rpm around 5k and going 20mph in first. Along the full throttle there were tiny blips of life and could tell it would kind of "catch" for a moment before going back to how it was. Basically I was holding on for dear life while the bike lurched forward every so often.

Fast forward a month, the previous owner let the bike sit for a few months/years/etc... And the tank was rust. So I took apart the whole tank and relined it with POR15 and put it back together. Fast forward another 2 months and here I am.

The bike starts great! But, once I start riding it idles pretty high (about 600 above my setting). I have messed around with the adjustment screw multiple times but it doesn't help. Ill be riding along, stop at a red light, and (doesn't matter if I am in neutral of just braking it) it will idle around 2100. After a little bit of sitting there it may or may not drop back down to 1500ish. It really happens every now and then. Last thing, yesterday I was coming up to a stop light. Pulled in clutch, started braking, and the bike actually heated up. I watched as it went from 189-191-193-195-197-199-201 before falling back down slowly. This is all while decelerating and not using brake all that much (coasting).

So, question for all you awesome people is. Do you think it's a vacuum leak from when I redid my tank? Plugs from the rain? Or anything else you can think of?

Also, I don't know if its 100% because of my bike but when I park it after riding about 5 mins I smell a small burning smell. Almost like oil except there's no oil anywhere except in engine. No leaks, or anything.

Any help would truly be appreciated. Thanks a bunch

Safe riding,
Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Just to be clear. After the riding in the rain incident on 81, did it run normally until you took the tank off? Or has it ran like sh!t the entire time?

If it ran like sh!t the entire time, I'd guess that your work on the fuel tank has nothing to do with your problems.

Since it started after a rain, I'd guess that water may have gotten into the works somehow. Is your airbox tight? Is it connected to the throttle bodies properly? Have you pulled your plugs? Have you looked for signs of water in your oil?

I wouldn't worry about a 12 degree rise and then drop in temperature. That doesn't sound abnormal to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like 'multiple' things. Riding in the rain, bike starts to run like crap. That is simply water getting into your front spark plug 'area' causing bike to short out that plug so you are running on 1 cylinder. Everything dries up and - viola! - bike runs fine again. Is that about right? Can't tell because you then 'fast-forwarded' to a story about your tank. Need to separate out issues to get a handle on things.

Let's talk tank. POR treatment good. POR not adhering to the tank wall BAD! It will be like a 'lining' that came loose and is now floating around in your tank and that can plug up (or partially plug up) your fuel pump intake. And if your tank was rusted out prior to that, your fuel filter most likely already has a fair amount of debris in it and that is restricting flow, too. Your bike will struggle to keep up the proper amount of fuel flow needed under such conditions and the bike will run erratically. Plugged fuel filters are common in DLs with 30,000+ miles but would obviously happen faster on a bike with rust floating around the tank. I'm assuming the SVs use the same in-tank fuel-pump/filter assembly. On the DLs, they pull the fuel pump/fuel filter assembly and drill a small hole in the right spot to bypass the filter and get things flowing again, and then they put on external EFI inline fuel filter to protect the injectors from getting plugged up. Why? It is way cheaper than the $400+ dollars to replace the OEM fuel filter assembly!

Other issues could be a BAD GROUND. Really! Start at the battery. Unscrew both the + and - terminals and clean to be sure there is good contact at the battery end. Then, follow your negative ground wire from the battery to where it grounds on the frame or engine. DISCONNECT IT and CLEAN @ the contact point. I like to use sandpaper to clean both sides of the contact points. Don't just "look" at it. You won't see crap. Pull it and clean it and then reattach. Test ride and see if things are better.

Last thought - water got in some electrical connectors in the downpour and now they are corroded and sending erroneous readings to your bike. Hence the high idle, low idle, dying, etc. Pull the connectors you can find, clean with contact cleaner (google: CRC QD Electrical Contact Cleaner Aerosol) then put di-electric grease into the connector and button it back up (google: CRC 05105 Technician Grade Di-Electric Grease.)

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! These kind of problems can be maddening. Remember, do 'easy' first. To me, that would be cleaning up battery connectors and the ground wire to frame/engine connection. Proceed as needed from there, until you find the culprit.
Michael in Aurora, CO

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick responses. Google will have a search overload from me today haha. Ill take a look at everything from battery to plug wires, to ground when im home. The rain is what caused me to notice the high idle, I just figured id toss in the tank story in case someone has seen anything with continuing issues with that procedure. But I appreciate it people! Will keep updated as I check everything out. Also, I originally thought I was having fuel efficiency problems with this whole ordeal but i took it out on 81 for a tank check and got ~145 to the tank with mid grade. So so happy that's not an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick responses. Google will have a search overload from me today haha. Ill take a look at everything from battery to plug wires, to ground when im home. The rain is what caused me to notice the high idle, I just figured id toss in the tank story in case someone has seen anything with continuing issues with that procedure. But I appreciate it people! Will keep updated as I check everything out. Also, I originally thought I was having fuel efficiency problems with this whole ordeal but i took it out on 81 for a tank check and got ~145 to the tank with mid grade. So so happy that's not an issue.

Hello, just wondering if the lining of your tank fixed the rpm and temperature issue you were having? I have a rusty tank and my sv sometimes will act weird at certain Rpms and will rise and drop drastically in temperature in certain gears and I am thinking that maybe my fuel filter is clogged with rusty gunk. If so, I need to clear that and then line my tank so it doesn't happen again. Just want to see if your problem, with the Rpms specifically, was fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts