Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

Well, my first post! I've been looking around the SVRider website for a couple of weeks now and have finally decided to take the plunge into buying my first bike. I'm totally green and wanted to get some opinions on this bike.
I found it on the Milwaukee Craigslist:

"For Sale - 2003 Suzuki SV650 S - Copper/Orange $3500

Basically stock bike, California model with passing light trigger.
Added mirror extenders for increased rear visibility and Carbon mirrors.
Purchased bike in Oct. 2007, clean WI title, licensed and registered in WI.
New battery in May 2008, bike has always been stored inside.
Just over 4,000 miles, has only been driven with premium fuel.
Minor scrapes on front fairing and muffler.

Serious inquiries only. Comes with original stock tool kit as well.
Please reply if you would like additional information or for pictures of the bike."

Here are all the pics he sent me. What do you guys think? Too much? what would a good price be for a bike like this? Is this a good idea to buy this bike? What else should I ask and look for? Thanks so much!!

http://img230.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1758.jpg

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
nice, I paid 3800 for mine 03' naked too with 1500 miles....

If the bike doesn't have any problems I think is a good deal, go for it...

And yes offer him like 3000, then he'll go down 200-300 bucks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Looks nice, I agree offer him 3000 and work your way up, maby you will meet in the middle and get it for like 3200.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate it.

I've got an update, he got back to me and gave me more history on the bike. Turns out he was in an accident and he laid it down. He damaged the front fairing, muffler, right brake lever and bar end. Looks like he's going to replace the brake lever and bar end (says he's got em' ordered). Do you think this damage would justify lower than $3,000? Does anybody have experience with touching up the paint on these copper/orange bikes? Can I fill in the damage on the front fairing pretty easily?

Also, he said the bike has had 2 oil changes in it's 6 years and 4,067 miles. Is that ok? Doesn't look like any other maintenance was done besides that.

God I sound like such a noob, I really appreciate everyones input.

Here are the pics of the fairing and muffler damage:

http://img211.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1766f.jpg

·
Registered
542 Posts
To start off that color is going to be hard to match. The only way will be a professional paint shop,the body work repair will be way easier then matching and blending in the paint. On the oil change issue it shouldnt hurt just change it right away.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Give him 2,800 cash in hand. If he takes it you will be stealing it. Get it home, Put sliders on it, Change the oil, Oil the chain and ride it as is till you feel good on it then consider fixing it up. If you haven't ridden much that's the only way to fly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I think I'll offer him 2800 and see where we go...

Motosliders? I've done a bit of research since you mentioned them and it looks like that's going to be my first purchase! Do you recommend to get them directly from the manufacturer or is there any cheaper way to get them? Also, what are swingarm sliders? Do you guys recommend them as well?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Contact Blair over at SV-Racing Parts [email protected]
Or Nate from Motorsliders http://www.motosliders.com/. Both are really nice guys and will ship them out to you very quickly. It was my first purchase too.

I just bought both swing arm and frame sliders from Blair about a week ago and just put them on today. It will cost you about 115 shipped for both and they seem to be the top choice on this site.

I don't think the swing arm sliders will provide a ton of protection but for 30 bucks they double as the pegs for a rear stand should you ever decide to get one.

Hope this helps... it's kind of the blind leading the blind though (as I just got my bike only a few weeks ago).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts