Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this might seem like baby steps for many of you. This is my first bike. It's a 2000 SV650. I am in the process of changing the chain and sprockets. It seemed like an easy enough fix, so I took a go at it.

It "seems" like the chain is too short, but it's not. I've loosened the rear adjusters to allow the wheel to go forward... but I'm stuck.

It seems that the sprocket side of the wheel moves forward fine... but the brake caliper side doesn't want to go as far forward.

The only thing I can see is that, because the axle needs to go through the caliper bracket, I can only go forward a certain distance before getting to the the furthest point the caliper bracket will currently go.

What should I do so that I can move the wheel forward where it should be? The only reason it was that far back is because the old chain from the old owner was drastically stretched and old.

Am I supposed to loosen the caliper bracket where it's connected (that bar that swings from the chasis) to allot for movement, and allow me to move the wheel forward and re-align the brake caliper bracket?

I didn't loosen it yet, because I didn't know if it would cause the rear rotor to rub against the caliper.

Or there's something else that this noob (me) is missing.

Any advice?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
you sure the new chain isn't 2 links shorter or something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I initially thought the same thing. Being a noob, I wanted to double check. The previous owner game me a new Regina Maximoto Chain and Sprocket set. I even called up the company to make sure it was right, and they said yes.

When I move the sprocket-side of the wheel, there's enough room to move up to the front of that area where the adjusters allow, and doing so will allow the chain to go around properly. I'm just concerned that the sprocket side is pushed up further than the braker caliper side is. I'm assuming that they should both be even, but that right side won't go as far forward as the sprocket side because of the brake caliper bracket hole where the axle goes through is where it is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Am I understanding that you still have the caliper attached to the wheel spacer and torque arm? If so remove the 3 bolts and let the caliper dangle (torque arm can stay attached). I'm not sure this is required, but will make the job much easier. Yes, the rear wheel should slide the full length on either side without issue. Make sure you retighten the 3 bolts to spec when putting it back on.

Apologies if I misunderstood what you are describing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SWEET.

Ok. Thanks. I figured I'd ask someone more experienced. I thought that was the case, but didn't want to screw up the bike on my first "repair."

Hopefully this will work. Can't wait to take it on the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW. What a difference when you do things the right way, lol.

I was up early this morning. In 10 minutes I was able to remove the bolts and bracket, attach the wheel, move it forward, install the chain, move it back do its snug, and re-attach the bracket. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts