Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I moved to California with my SV and things are great! - except I ran into a problem registering it... Seems they are very concerned with emissions while registering out of state vehicles, and as my bad luck would have it, part of the emissions sticker (the one on the frame on the right side, below the tank) has rubbed off near where the engine family number that they need is listed.

The number is mostly intact, but area next to it is obliterated, so I need to show the clerk that the whole number is there. But I am having a bear of a time finding a readable photo of one of these online - including completed ebay listings for frames. If someone has on '05 with 49 state sticker, could you please post a good photo of it? This might be the difference between me being able to register and ride it, and having to sell it for parts. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Unfortunately the number on '06 is different afaik, has to be a non-Cali '05.
Just in case it's the same, the number I am looking for is in upper left corner and should read "Engine Family Name: 5SKXC.645VW1"

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
So, I moved to California with my SV and things are great! - except I ran into a problem registering it... Seems they are very concerned with emissions while registering out of state vehicles, and as my bad luck would have it, part of the emissions sticker (the one on the frame on the right side, below the tank) has rubbed off near where the engine family number that they need is listed.

The number is mostly intact, but area next to it is obliterated, so I need to show the clerk that the whole number is there. But I am having a bear of a time finding a readable photo of one of these online - including completed ebay listings for frames. If someone has on '05 with 49 state sticker, could you please post a good photo of it? This might be the difference between me being able to register and ride it, and having to sell it for parts. Thanks guys!
Wow, that sucks. What's interesting is California doesn't do any inspections or smog test on motorcycles.

Even safety inspections on rebuilt motorcycles to get salvage titles don't check on smog equipment.

Every bike I've owned I immediately upgrade the exhaust and that usually removes the cat and smog equipment. It's ironic the DMV is giving you issues on a out of state bike that's probably less polluting than any of my CA bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As it turns out, they are actually not looking for any emissions issues, all-told. You can get a form form the DMV and take it over to a CHP office (get an appointment) and have them do a VIN check. takes about 45 minutes while you wait. have to leave bike and paperwork with them. take that form over to the DMV and viola

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe you can order the sticker from the Suzuki Dealer?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update for anyone curios, bike is now registered!
I got all sorts of paperwork from Suzuki (who, however, will NOT issue a new sticker), but ended up getting a different agent, and got registered without a problem.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Update for anyone curios, bike is now registered!
I got all sorts of paperwork from Suzuki (who, however, will NOT issue a new sticker), but ended up getting a different agent, and got registered without a problem.
Great, now you don't have to worry about it ever again. Also, no smog checks or inspections required either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts