Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago I purchased a 2002 sv650 it has 35,000 miles on it. The owner said he just did the oil and Lubed the chain, the tires look new everything looks okay and runs fine until I've been riding for about four or five hours, after that or maybe when she gets hot she starts to die at low RPM coming to stops, I can give her gas and start her up again but UNLESS I crank the throttle a few good times,the she seems to level out back to 1200 rpm, if I dont she dies again.

Could it be the carbs? I noticed a but of rust in the tank.

Also a local shop says they can clean, disassemble, and balance the carbs for $325, is that fair?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I'm pretty sure that's okay because the battery is still fully charged and can start back up no problem after it dies. It only does this if I'm out riding it "steady", trying to stay at one speed on this beast is damn hard and I usaly have fluctuat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
😅 is that sarcasm? I'm sorry, like I said I'm not the bes TV at descriptions. Basically if it gets "HOT" after riding for hours, but dosnt throw a temp light or anything. I let it sit a bit and I can ride it again, but its annoying because like I said it cant just stay at onespeed, its will get, idk all jumpy, wanna shift either up or down, never 35, or 45 lol,

·
Super Moderator
6,902 Posts
Could be a blockage from debris in the tank, but also try opening the gas cap when it starts to run poorly to see if you hear air rushing in, which tells you there is a venting issue.

How old is the gas? It's possible the gas is very old and has a lot of condensation in it. Easiest first step would be draining and checking the tank. Refill with fresh 87. Ethanol-free is best if available, but not required.

If it persists you may need to pull the carbs. I wouldn't take it to a shop though. If you can pull them yourself I would, then ship them to Custom Carb Services (https://customcarbservices.com/) for an ultrasonic cleaning and rebuild. Gordon knows carbs inside and out, and you will get them back in like-new condition for a reasonable price. He's a regular on ninjette.com if you want to read some reviews, and goes by ducatiman.

Cycle shops these days have no idea how to properly clean and rebuild carbs.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Could be a blockage from debris in the tank, but also try opening the gas cap when it starts to run poorly to see if you hear air rushing in, which tells you there is a venting issue.

How old is the gas? It's possible the gas is very old and has a lot of condensation in it. Easiest first step would be draining and checking the tank. Refill with fresh 87. Ethanol-free is best if available, but not required.

If it persists you may need to pull the carbs. I wouldn't take it to a shop though. If you can pull them yourself I would, then ship them to Custom Carb Services (https://customcarbservices.com/) for an ultrasonic cleaning and rebuild. Gordon knows carbs inside and out, and you will get them back in like-new condition for a reasonable price. He's a regular on ninjette.com if you want to read some reviews, and goes by ducatiman.

Cycle shops these days have no idea how to properly clean and rebuild carbs.
Five stars for Gordon, a conscientious craftsman who's been doing carbs for many years.

·
Registered
913 Posts
When the bike dies try opening the Fuel Tank filler cap. It has been known for the breather mechanism to get clogged and cause a Partial Vacuum in the fuel tank restricting the fuel flow.

HTH :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
About two weeks ago I purchased a 2002 sv650 it has 35,000 miles on it. The owner said he just did the oil and Lubed the chain, the tires look new everything looks okay and runs fine until I've been riding for about four or five hours, after that or maybe when she gets hot she starts to die at low RPM coming to stops, I can give her gas and start her up again but UNLESS I crank the throttle a few good times,the she seems to level out back to 1200 rpm Omegal, if I dont she dies again.

Could it be the carbs? I noticed a but of rust in the tank.

Also a local shop says they can clean, disassemble, and balance the carbs for $325, is that fair?
You can try VS-1100-chagre-syst.pdf
i like this pdf because it is easy to read and understand, But you need a volt-ohm meter for here given experiment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts