Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'01 sv650s - bought it this summer, the battery has given me some problems in the past. I've taken it out and charged it several times, each time the charge holding a significantly shorter period of time than before. I charged it for about 24hrs this weekend (Saturday afternoon-Sunday morning), it started fine Sunday morning, went to hop on it Tuesday morning and it didn't have enough juice to start the bike. I've taken the battery to autozone and they said it was a good battery, but at that time it only had 40% charge.

Is it just that I need to buy a new battery or is there something draining it?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Sounds to like a new battery would be the place to start. Try it out and if it gives you the same kind of trouble then start searching for what might be draining it.

Just to ask a dumb question, you aren't accidentally turning on the parking lights when you lock the bike are you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not positive on the age of the battery, it is an Interstate battery though. I called a shop a while ago with an issue, he advised me never to buy an Interstate battery because he had some many issues with them coming through his shop.

@off roader - haha at this point, no question is a dumb question! Love the bike, but man is it finicky! To answer you question, I do leave the light switch in the "ON" position at all times. You think that is causing the drain?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Usually batteries tend to last for a couple years or so I've been told. Try a new battery and see how that goes.

And no, it's not the light switch. Where your key is, there should be these words:

On
Off
Lock
Parking

Parking is usually to the left of Lock. If you're leaving your bike in this mode, your parking lights will be on which will of course drain your battery.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
When you have a suspected battery problem the very first thing to check is the charging system output. If you aren't charging the battery properly when the engine is running you can't expect it to stay charged. And, if you find the charging inadequate (likely due to RegulatorRectifier problem) it might actually be discharging it while sitting.

You should be seeing mid 14 volts when running around 5 grand. If you aren't...you've got to figure out why. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Kin... - ok, that's what I thought and no, i'm not using the lock function because it's either in my garage or parked right outside my work...so that's not it.

@recoilrob - thanks for the advice! I've been wondering if the R/R is the problem or not, like I said, the length of the charge has slowly been getting worse everytime I've charged it.

I don't really understand the R/R's duty related to the battery though. While it's sitting, the R/R can actually pull the charge from the battery?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
No - the R/R controls (regulates) the voltage going to the battery while running. If it's not allowing enough energy to the battery, the battery drains while you ride. One mode of R/R failure has the change starting out okay, but the longer the bike runs - the warmer the R/R gets and the less it charges the battery. Take a 10-20 minute ride, then check the voltage at the battery with a tester.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can test the battery. Charge it full, and then discharge through some bigger light bulb that typically draws 20-50Watts. The current will be typically wattage divided by voltage, which is 12V in our case... If the battery is good, it should give you close to its full capacity, which should be 12-14Ah... You usually discharge the battery until the voltage on terminals falls to around 10V... Or when the bulb gets pretty dim, if you dont have the voltmeter... A typical scenario would be, for 12Ah battery like I have, and 45W lightbulb, 45/12 3.75A current draw, which will kind of diminish as the voltage goes down... 12Ampere-Hours divided by ~3-3.5 will be 3.5-4 hours of burn... I had a battery that actually gives out only about 1.5-2 hours worth of juice( old and tired ), but it still starts my bike fine for the last two years...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts