Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP! Milky oil. Problem solved!?

New to the board, hello everyone.

I just recently picked up a 2000 track day bike. The clutch was supposedly splipping at 'the end of last year' and the previous owned started to replace it and never finished. He was moving and didnt want to carry the bike around in pieces so he sold it.
For some reason he had the magneto cover off and not the clutch cover?? and the bike sat like this for how long I do not know. I replaced the clutch, springs, oil filter and added oil (it was drained when I bought it). Took it for a test ride and when I parked it again went to check the oil level and found the milk.:disappointed:
Just looking for info on how to proceed really. I am thinking head gasket but dont really know. The bike runs great expect for the milk issue and it kinda has small back fire through the exhaust every now and then. It has a stock exhaust now but fairly certain it was jetted for aftermarket at some time, maybe causing the backfire?
Also what about maybe the water pump seals? What do you guys think I should check to try and narrow this down. Hoping to have the bike track worthy by middle of Sept.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Check/replace your water pump seals and change your oil/coolant. Parts fiche here. Might as well start by eliminating easier to fix failiure points before tearing into the engine to remove the head. Just my 0.02$

Others may have some more insight on coolant issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kinda what I was thinking also, but I hate throwing parts at something when I dont know for sure if that is the problem.

·
Registered
743 Posts
+1^ to the advice. Check your gasket first then replace the coolant. I would not look at it as throwing parts so much as I would say you are correcting a problem...which you hope to be the easiest. If that does not work then you are in for a tear down. Just keep an eye on your oil.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Does the water pump weep? Do you see anything slick or green underneath? I've had mine go and never really saw milky oil. I'd try replacing the head gasket.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
So the oil was milky or just the window from water vapor in the oil?

The first ride with my clear cover made me think I had a leak. It was just water vapor that hadn't heated enough to go away.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
what's the coolant overflow look like??

cracked head?? racebike with water, forget to drain in the winter...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definately not just condensation. I will post a pic of the drained oil later.
Weep hole seems ok and the coolant looked fine when I drained it earlier today. Dont know about the freezing part, I live in Phoenix and just picked up the bike a month or so ago. It could have frozen though, by the looks of the bike it sat outside for awhile.
Thanks for all the responses so far. I appreciate the help.
Think I will pull the water pump next and take a look at the seals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are a few pics. I am starting to think that my leak may just be the clutch cover to engine case around the coolant ports on the side cover. I have included a few pics of this. The gasket wasnt stuck around the areas with the grey coating very well.
Again the previous owner had started to work on the clutch. Maybe he loosened the gasket, tightened it back and caused a leak. That is the one extra piece he gave me was a new main clutch cover gasket.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Wow. That clutch must have been red hot to melt the cover like that. Is the whole thing plastic, including where the water pump passes coolant through and into the engine? If the case got hot enough to melt, it might have warped and won't be sealing properly...which will let a bunch of coolant into your oil. I agree the seals look bad on your gasket....at the very least a new one is in order. How much is a new cover?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Oh how do you like the melted plastic cover for clutch itself also? Anyone else ever see this?

Looks like he abused the living crap out of it. Was the coolant white milky looking too? I remember a product called Bars-Leaks or something like that was for coolant leaks. It turned the coolant into a milky, gritty slurry and worked pretty well for small radiator leaks, but I had heard of people using it hoping for a quick fix for a blown gasket or cracked head/block.

I'm guessing the reason he didn't want to move the bike with him was because he knew he screwed up the engine doing burnouts and other stupid stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah Im sure it has been abused. I only paid $375 for it though. It has an older GSXR front end with upside down forks and six piston calipers, Zx 636 shock, woodcraft rearsets and clip-ons, GP tech race fairing stay with replacable arms, sunpro tach and daytona digital temp gage, all sliders etc. etc.

In other words a pretty nicely set up track day thrash bike.

Only the round cover directly over the clutch is plastic, the rest is aluminum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An update for everyone on my issue: (Hopefully can help someone else in the future with similar problems)

Replaced pretty much every gasket on the clutch side engine cover, main cover gasket (the suspected problem), water pump oil oring and both coolant orings, and will replace the clutch cover oring when I get my new woodcraft aluminum cover, new oil and filter and coolant.
Also pulled the valve covers and visually checked freeze plugs with no issues noted.
Rode the bike about the same amount of time as the previous pics, about 10 min riding and 5-10 min idling in the garage, and all seems good now, fingers crossed.
Thanks for everyones help and ideas.
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/mille2race/SDC11114.jpg
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/mille2race/SDC11113.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts