Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. So here I am, halfway through a 6,000 mile trip and I'm having a problem (which is amplified by the fact that I am 3000 miles from home).

As I was driving the other day it started raining. During the rain I was doing about 80 when all of a sudden the bike lost a little bit of power. I tried rolling on the throttle and it wouldn't pick up, the engine just made noises like it was flooding, didn't rev up, didn't increase speed. Now through the rest of my trip it has been doing this occasionally and not doing this occasionally. What could this be? Could this have to do with the high altitude (8-9 thousand feet up) messing with something? Or did the rain do something?

Any ideas are appreciated. The bike is a '99 sv650

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sounds like you have front cylinder spark issues and a 325cc SV. Water kicks up into the spark plug wire hole and kills the spark. Take out the plug, dry the area, and add dielectric grease.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Clean out the drain ,on the right side of the front cylinder.
Look for it, it has a little "o",run a pipe cleaner or wire up there.
To prevent it happening,get some Dielectric grease and put some in the plug boot,this will solve the problem. The 325 syndrome is not uncommon, on first gens in the rain. NOW you know the fix. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.