Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate rain, and generally will not ride if the weather is questionable. However, thinking of taking a short trip during the summer so I need to be prepared. Any suggestions? In looking at Ebay I see one-piece and two-piece suits..what's best? I'm 5'10" at 160 lbs with a 33" waist..usually wear a large or even an extra large T-shirt..any sizing suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
any comments relative to sizing..some of the manufacture info on sizing is confusing at best..
For specific motorcycle raingear, buy your normal size. IE, if you wear a Large jacket, buy a large rain jacket. They are made bigger to go over your existing gear.

I have a large Teknic rain jacket that fits over my large Olympia AST.

I like the Teknic rain stuff. But you should make sure your rain gear has a lining (mesh is fine - if it's just the rubber/pvc, it'll be tough to get it on over your gear). Also, I like to have rain gear that is stitched together and then seam taped. I found out that welded seams do not hold up to repeated use and flapping in the wind. On a trip back from Michigan once, the arms of my Firstgear rain jacket (welded seams) ripped off. So I ended up with a rain vest. Didn't work to well.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Another thing to think about in preparation for your trip is to practice riding in the rain. If you avoid it too much, you'll never get comfortable doing it. Go out when you don't have anywhere to be and keep it to back roads. You may find that you actually like riding in the rain (I do!) and getting used to how your bike handles it will be very beneficial to you if you happen to get caught somewhere that you can't just stop.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered my rain gear mid week and got it today. After research I went with the Fieldsheer Lexan 2-peice. Seems like an excellent product and the fit is perfect. The reason I decided on Fieldsheer was due to sizing. Looking at other brands, some sizes in medium stated 50" or 52" in the chest..with 30" pants inseam. What kind of body size is that? I'm 5'10", 160lbs and with my riding jacket on my chest is 41"...so the large Fieldsheer turned out to be a perfect fit. Thanks to all that responded.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/101/2464/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Lexan-Two-Piece-Rainsuit.aspx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts