Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so It's time for some new skins on my 06' sv650s. So I'll start with a little background on my riding style: I'd say my riding is fairly aggressive - mostly twisty back roads and some short commuting. I do take the occasional long trip rides with some moderate highway riding where I'll do a few hundred miles in a weekend or something along those lines. During the season, I'll ride my bike daily except in the rain (unless I'm out and get stuck). I also don't plan on any track days. This will be my first set of tires, changing from stock. I'm aware any new tire is going to make a world of a difference...So with all that being said I've narrowed down to a few tires:

Continental Road Attacks (Sport Attacks??)
Michelin Pilot Powers
Dunlop Road Smarts

I know this is a popular topic in these forums and all of the above tires will meet all my requirements, but I'm just looking for some feedback to really make up my mind. I'd like something sticky, mileage is somewhat of a factor but as long as I get a couple 1000 out of them I'm not really overly concerned. Traction is my priority. So with these factors in mind, whats the best bang for my buck?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
If it was me it would be

1. Roadsmarts
2. Road Attack
3. Pilot Powers

If Pilot Road2 were on there, then it would be tied with the roadsmarts, but I'd probably get them first anyway since I think they are cheaper.

I think ANY of those would be an improvement though.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
"I'd say my riding is fairly aggressive "

With the factory pieces of hard rubber.C'mon man,no way.But you will definetly be able to do some "aggresive" riding w/those tires.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
"I'd say my riding is fairly aggressive "

With the factory pieces of hard rubber.C'mon man,no way.But you will definetly be able to do some "aggresive" riding w/those tires.
That was my thinking too. If you can ride hard on the stock "death trap" tires then anything will be an improvement.

It seems like nobody ever says anything bad about all three you listed. It just comes down to what you want and price.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That was my thinking too. If you can ride hard on the stock "death trap" tires then anything will be an improvement.

It seems like nobody ever says anything bad about all three you listed. It just comes down to what you want and price.
I had about 5mm on my chicken strips with stock rubbers. It just takes some balls and a certain lack of self preservation.

I'm currently running a set of roadsmarts now. Great tires but I havent been able to get out and take some aggresive twisties with them yet.

The Pilot Powers were my last ones - just be prepared for your rear to not last you but about 4-6k miles if you do drive it hard. Pilot Road2 should be a nice middle ground.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I'd like something sticky, mileage is somewhat of a factor but as long as I get a couple 1000 out of them I'm not really overly concerned. Traction is my priority. So with these factors in mind, whats the best bang for my buck?
If your highway jaunts are a small percentage of your riding, get a good sport tire. Powers, Sport attacks, etc...

:jerkbag:

I've heard of more people wrecking on roadsmarts than 220's

·
Registered
647 Posts
i used to run the pilot powers on my sv1000 and finally switched to the pilot road 2's....but when i ran the pilot powers i was lucky to get 2-3k miles out of them. extremely sticky but DO NOT run them if your commute!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
:jerkbag:

I've heard of more people wrecking on roadsmarts than 220's
Llinks if you will to these people.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Llinks if you will to these people.
i searched but couldn't find them

there were two threads in the last month or so that involved people wrecking on brand new roadsmarts. it spawned a major discussion about mold release, if you recall.

I'm in no way implying that the roadsmarts are unsafe (my next tire probably) but I'm simply defending the 220.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Too many people have this skewed opinion of the 220. Rarely has anyone tried a second set of 220s so when they replace their clapped out tire with something new they think that the replacement is light years better. But remember, you're replacing a clapped out tire! ANYTHING will feel better.

Yes, a pilot power or similar "sport" tire will perform better and have more grip. But is the 220 a horrible rock of a tire that is good for nothing? NO! Give them a chance to heat up and they stick like glue and they will still go for thousands of miles. Unfortunately SVR has given the 220 a stigma that will remain forever.

I bet if you met a SV haver outside in the REAL WORLD that still runs 220s, you'd probably find that he loves them.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Too many people have this skewed opinion of the 220. Rarely has anyone tried a second set of 220s so when they replace their clapped out tire with something new they think that the replacement is light years better. But remember, you're replacing a clapped out tire! ANYTHING will feel better.

Yes, a pilot power or similar "sport" tire will perform better and have more grip. But is the 220 a horrible rock of a tire that is good for nothing? NO! Give them a chance to heat up and they stick like glue and they will still go for thousands of miles. Unfortunately SVR has given the 220 a stigma that will remain forever.

I bet if you met a SV haver outside in the REAL WORLD that still runs 220s, you'd probably find that he loves them.
true true. I've actually seen people recommend them on other boards. I can't recall right now though.

Shoot, I rode my 220's till the steel belts were showing through. ;D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Where do the Metzler M3 and Pirelli Diablo Rosso fall in the sport tire world of BT-016, sport attack, and pilot power?

·
Registered
84 Posts
ive got a dunlop sport attack on the rear with 3,500 and still 1/3 tread left dead center, seems to be a good tire, the metzler on the front sucks, when i got the bike it had a 180 metzler rear and it felt like riding a water bed or something

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Where do the Metzler M3 and Pirelli Diablo Rosso fall in the sport tire world of BT-016, sport attack, and pilot power?

BT-016 are a brand new tri compound rear tire and dual compound front tire that's soft in the center and gets even softer towards the sidewalls. It is NOT a harder center compound like some believe and it WILL wear just as fast as any other sport tire in the group.

The M3, Rosso, Pilot Power and Road Attack are all single compound rear tires. The Rosso are the newest of the bunch and the Powers and Road Attacks are the older of the group.

Also the Road Attacks are a sport touring tire all the others are sport tires. Conti makes the Sport Attack which would be more comparable to the others.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i actually have a qualifier rear not a sportmax. and i have run the 36 psi suggested on the bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
100 PERCENT Pilot Powers ....will never get anything else

I have used in track and street and they stick and it is very clear

add some rider confidence and get tires dont be cheap

MArk

·
Super Moderator
6,911 Posts
Pick-up the latest Sport Rider, its got a sport tire test (it sounds like you might want a sport tire).

Long story short - Pilot 2CTs were voted best, Bridgestones second. For the price I'll probably go Bridgestone next time around.

I have a SportAttack on the front, which was a MAJOR improvement over the stock 220 IMO. I switched it out after 500mi because the front just felt weird to me w/the 220. The Conti changed that for the better, but in the SR test it was rated average at best.

Jay

1 - 20 of 22 Posts