Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've got an oil leak. I've noticed it running off my framesliders after the bike has been run and is on the kickstand for a while.

After looking around my prime culprit is this 12mm bolt that comes off the left side of the front cylinder at about a 90 degree angle. It is located a little under the throttle bodies. It was caked with oil which i cleaned off to look for fresh stuff and to give y'all a better pic.

It has been leaking for a while but lately has gotten worse. Should I be very worried?

Picture:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok a little embarrased, thanks to daviid's motor tear down sticky I already know this is the Cam chain tensioner. Anyone care to give me input on replacing the gasket? Do I have to TDC the front cylinder etc?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
if it was leaking oil areound the 12mm bolt you might actually need the crushwasher that goes in there, not the gasket(however it would probably be best to replace both).

the tensioner has a little ratcheting mechanism to it. before you unbolt the two allen bolts, break the 12mm loose. then remove the whole tensioner, while its off remove the 12mm bolt. be careful this holds the spring. work the little ratchet thing and push the plunger all the way into the body of the tensioner. place the new gasket where it belongs and bolt the body of the tensioner to the head. torque to spec. then place the spring in and push it so you can bolt up the 12mm with the new washer. torque to spec.

this is pretty much how the manual says to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts