Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide what to get!!! I know this is a motorcycle forum, so I can anticipate the answers I will get, but that's okay. I posed it on the car forum as well.

I'm trying to decide between a 2nd gen SV650 and a 2009 Nissan 370Z. I've wanted a motorcycle and a Z for years, and now I'm in the position to get either one, but I can't decide.

Pros for the Z:
- Easier for passengers. Not crazy about having a passenger on a bike as a new rider. Won't be giving my buddies rides on the back of a bike, ever. Can take a girl out to a nice dinner in a Z, not so much on a bike.

- More practical. Can be used as a second car if something happens to my truck. Could be driven in winter if need be, or for fun, weather permitting.

Pros for the SV:
- More fun! The experience of riding a bike vs. driving a car. Even though the Z would be fun to drive, it wouldn't be the same.

- Cheaper! Used SV is 1/6th the cost of a Z. No payment, cheaper insurance, better gas mileage.

I'm really on the fence here, and not really leaning towards one or the other. So, what do you guys think? My tax return is here, so with my first-time home buyer credit, I can go pay cash for a bike, or put 1/2 down on a 370Z. Thanks for the input!!!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
i think you should use that credit to your house, or use it on something thats not a toy. you have to pay that credit back, thats why i say this.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Personally I would go with the bike. The 370's a pretty quick car, but it doesn't really compare to a bike. Keep in mind that the 370 is the flavor of the month, and there's no way you'll get it for less than MSRP. Have you considered a used or leftover C6? I heard GM is cutting some crazy deals on them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Get both.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Um...a 370Z costs $30,000...minimum.

A second gen SV650 costs $4,000...max.

BTW-A car is a lot more forgiving when you screw up than a bike. Maybe that's the difference in cost you were thinking of?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Ok, for what the 370Z costs....Get a new Sv and a really nice used 350Z.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bike, I have a truck and a bike. No need for another car........ or meet a girl who has a Z. lol then you can have both.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It'd be a good idea to make sure you put aside a grand or two for year round riding gear. Make sure your medical insurance/workers comp/aflac are paid up if and when you crash.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally I would go with the bike. The 370's a pretty quick car, but it doesn't really compare to a bike. Keep in mind that the 370 is the flavor of the month, and there's no way you'll get it for less than MSRP. Have you considered a used or leftover C6? I heard GM is cutting some crazy deals on them.
Plenty of people are getting the 370 for invoice, and some even $1,000 under invoice. Buyer's market. And I'm not a real big fan of the corvettes.

If you have to ask this question, you're not a bike guy. Get the car.
haha, if you say so. I have been into cars for much longer than bikes, so that has something to do with it. But I have also wanted a motorcycle since I was about 14, and have never gotten around to it. I've had my license for, I think, 3 years now in anticipation of when I would finally get one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since you mentioned insurance earlier, I recommend getting an insurance quote on both the 370Z and C6 just for the hell of it. I bet the C6 will be much less expensive to insure.
That was another concern I was just going to post with. Figured the vette with the V8 would be much more, but who knows.

EDIT: and if I do get the bike, I definitely will have money set aside for gear. that's a no-brainer!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've been told that the insurance on a Corvette is cheap because it's easy to repair. Most of the exterior panels can be replaced with a screwdriver, so expensive metal shape and prep work isn't required. If any part of the frame is damaged, a new section can be welded in or the entire thing can be replaced at relatively minimal cost. Flip a 370Z and it'd be almost impossible to fix. Flip a Corvette and pretty much anything and everything can be replaced. Also, it probably helps that the majority of owners are older which probably helps bring down insurance rates for all owners.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts