Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you playing at home, here is my wish list for an inexpensive .22 rifle:

autoloader
magazine fed
inexpensive (sub $200)
reliable
accurate
synthetic stock preferred but not a deal breaker
has capability to have a scope mounted
decent trigger
shoots well out of the box without modifications
comes with sling mounts is preferred

So far I have looked at Remington 597, Marlin 795, Savage 64, and Ruger 10/22.

let the discussion begin

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't know about the others but you can "accessorize" the 10/22 in about a billion different ways.

If you would consider a lever action, I'd strongly recommend a Winchester 9422.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Additional note, this rifle will be used for the Applseed shooting events which is based on a course of fire using two mags per section to increase proficiency with mag changes and staying with semi-auto helps with the timed aspect too

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep in mind, the 10/22 goes for a big chunk more cash then the other rifles.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
YES but by far most accurate. and cheap to maintain, and everyone carries everything for it. even wal mart has magazines for it in stock. will jam with dirty or wax rounds far less than any rifle in its price range.

if you go any less the savage is also amazing.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plinking and practicing. We signed up for two more events this year

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no doubt the 10/22 is great, but I am not a fan of Rugers and I dont need all the extra toys. At the last shott we did, approx 6 guys had them. Every single one spent an extra 100-350 on top of the purchase price until they were happy with the gun.

I just want something I can shoot and it works. I am selling a Ruger Mini-14 to pay for two of whatever model I choose so my son and I can both have one to use at the same time.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I have no doubt the 10/22 is great, but I am not a fan of Rugers and I dont need all the extra toys. At the last shott we did, approx 6 guys had them. Every single one spent an extra 100-350 on top of the purchase price until they were happy with the gun.
Sounds like they were being too picky ;). I first shot my dad's 10/22 in 1994 and it was already almost 20 years old then. With the stock 3x scope I was hitting on target all day long.

You can compare it to the SV650, some people can be more then happy with them stock and some people (like me) have to do everything they possibly can to mod them and still want more. That just me, I could also spend ton of money on a 10/22, but that doesn't mean you have to.

I would also love to have a STI Grand Master 2011, but I can't afford a $3600 pistol :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
You could just get a BB gun instead... Or a pellet gun would work too.
I find it funny how often people attempt to compare BB guns to .22 LR.

A .22 is small but will blow a hole through your skull. A BB gun will not do the same.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
I am selling a Ruger Mini-14 to pay for two of whatever model I choose so my son and I can both have one to use at the same time.
Who knew one of us idiots on SVRider could be such a good dad? In this circumstance whatever rifles you choose will turn out to be the best gun you ever had.
Good luck to you both.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who knew one of us idiots on SVRider could be such a good dad? In this circumstance whatever rifles you choose will turn out to be the best gun you ever had.
Good luck to you both.
Bless you. I am forwarding this to my wife so she will understand how awesome I am.

So far the Marlin 795 is winning out. Cant beat the price. Too bad I missed the $25 rebate too.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I find it funny how often people attempt to compare BB guns to .22 LR.

A .22 is small but will blow a hole through your skull. A BB gun will not do the same.
don't discount the power of an air rifle

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I've got a Marlin 60 that I struggle to recommend. Remington 597 is fantastic, 10/22 is unbeatable... Given the chance, I would not buy my Marlin again. It is the most reliable gun I've ever owned... In that it will jam EVERY time I use it. Regardless of cleaning, ammo choice, lubrication, three trips to different gunsmiths... I've had it over 15 years and have never, not once, had it function properly for more than a dozen shots at a time.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I heard early Remington 597s sucked-they had a magazine problem. I still think the 10/22 is overpriced for what I want. If someone gave me one I would love it, but I can almost get two Marlins for what the 10/22 will cost

1 - 20 of 40 Posts