Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help! Main Fuse Keeps BLOWING

2002 SV650. Main fuse keeps blowing with the key in the off position. Problem started after riding in a heavy rain strom.
Complete story:
Riding in a heavy rain strom the bike shut off no power. Hauled the bike back home, changed the blown main fuse. The bike started right up. After riding it around the block i noticed the front cylinder was not firing and then the bike blew another main fuse. Now everytime i replace the main fuse it blows as soon as it touches the contacts on the starter relay. Key is in the off position.

Please Help

·
Super Moderator
9,149 Posts
Hi wrutherford,
Welcome to the SV forum! I think you'll find a lot of fun and knowledgeable people here.smiley

Look at the wiring harness that runs to the ignition switch to see if any of the insulation has worn through. Focus on the area that might rub as you turn the handlebars.

If you don't see an obvious fault there, then the components in line after the main fuse are:
1. Ignition switch.
2. Regulator/Rectifier.
3. Instrument meter fuse.

Unplug each of the above component one at a time to see if any are the cause, though I'm not optimistic these are at fault.

I've heard of others loosing the front cylinder in heavy rain, but blowing the main fuse is unusual. The high voltage side of the ignition can easily short out due to moisture, but rain water will not conduct 30amps at 12v! Something is shorting sold to ground.

The stock SV wiring is robust and doesn't blow fuses easily. Often the problem can be traced back to a prior mod/repair. Are you the original owner, and has anything been done to the electrical? Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts