Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went for a ride today, and there was a problem as soon as I started the bike - when initiating the fuel pump, instead of a normal buzz it made more of a grinding growl. I stopped and started the bike a couple of times, and the sound recurred once, but was normal pump sounds the next few tries.

Shrug, bike is running well, probably nothing.
Wrong, as soon as I get on the road at first stop I smell gas.
Pull over to look, and it's trickling down the hose fitting under the tank above the throttle body assembly.

SV_gas.jpg

Photo from the right side of the bike. Was a bit hard to say where the source of the leak was, but I saw it trickle pretty fast from area circled. Turned right around hoping it doesn't go up in flames and parked back.

Going to be removing the tank and airbox for a closer look, but between the fitting leak and the pump noise, I think it's a more serious problem than just a bad piece of hose. Has anybody dealt with similar issue? Advice, suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,167 Posts
are both cylinders warming up? if not, you probably only have one injector shooting and the pressure has to go somewhere

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
It is just hose shrinking over time and clamps not tight any more.
Replace hose and clamps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is video (with sound) of what's happening at start up;

https://imgur.com/a/310U3Dz

The fuel pump sounds fine, the grinding noise happens at every 'ON' key turn and is coming from the butterfly flaps in the airbox. I imagine the fuel leak has to do with this as well. If I recall these are supposed to be in closed position, so seems the mechanism opening and closing them is buggered. Ideas?

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Fuel leak has nothing to do with it. That is your servo motor making noise. Still working properly but making noise.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose they could be unrelated but I find it odd that servo noise and leak would happen at the same time, and the leak is happening right where the servo is located.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Nothing between them. Leak is fuel and servo has nothing to do with fuel. It is electric device.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Point taken!

Investigating further, I took off the airbox and took a look at the throttle assembly below.
After multiple star cycles the airbox flaps come closer to fully closing, but still not quite.
No fuel leaks while idling or playing with the throttle.

Took it for a shakedown, regularly stopping to check for fuel leaks - after two miles the hoses and everything else under the airbox is bone dry. Servos still make abnormal noise (magnified by the aiorbox, can't hear it much when it's off) but otherwise the bike seems to run completely fine. I am stumped, and I don't really trust it right now because if a leak like that can just come and go it's a matter of time before it becomes a fireball.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume the fuel line in the photo in the first post is under high pressure? Fiddling with it (engine off) made fuel squirt out of there pretty hard. I figure a safe bet would be to replace that length of fuel line and put new clamps on. Could anyone help me source the right fuel line?

·
Registered
196 Posts
It is just hose shrinking over time and clamps not tight any more.
Replace hose and clamps.
This is it. Do exactly that.

No, it is not under high pressure. Mine does the same once in a while. Happens due to age, sitting, low quality gas. If mine dribbles I just shut it off, maybe prime the pump. It seals itself the first few times until you can get in there to replace the old line.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I assume the fuel line in the photo in the first post is under high pressure? Fiddling with it (engine off) made fuel squirt out of there pretty hard. I figure a safe bet would be to replace that length of fuel line and put new clamps on. Could anyone help me source the right fuel line?
Keep the key out (obviously) so you're not running the pump. It will leak fuel out but it won't be pumping out without the pump getting power. Just remove the line and take it to the parts store for a replacement. Good to do a quick search to make sure you get the proper metric diameter.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it, thanks!

Looks like I'll be trying to pick up some 5/16 ID fuel hose and clamps tomorrow, that size seems to be less common for some reason but hopefully I'll be able to find them instead of having to order online. Swap the whole thing out and that should take care of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
there is high pressure in there.. 4 to 6 bar goes into the injectors.
I've also had leaking problems as I mounted an external fuel filter and the hoses need to be supertight or it will piss gas all over

·
Vendor
169 Posts
Quite a common problem! Comes from age of the hose, weather ( worse in cooler conditions ), and especially from sitting a while. Clamps can often be tightened a bit to fix it. But it is also a good time to do some service and replace that hose and clamps!
DO NOT use standard rubber hose!!! Use hose rated for fuel injection. It will say that on it usually. DO NOT use clamps with the screw/worm gear spiral slits. Use fuel injection rated clamps. These have the post with the bolt going down from the top. No slices in the clamp, solid.
Does this matter? Yes, the worm type eat into the rubber causing this to happen again. The fuel injection type clamps hold more evenly around the hose and stay at good clamping load better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts