Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did shoot Jarel an e-mail on this, but presume he may not be working on Christmas Day. Since it's not work for me, I get to work on mods!

I have SVRaceShop's budget shop upgrade, which is the GSXR based shock. Anyone know the answer to these questions??

1. I realize I need to some of the battery box out to get the reservoir to fit. Do I just cut the bottom of it out, including the toolbox section? Any suggestions for what to remove or pictures available??
2. Please tell me the battery still fits and I don?t have to move it anywhere.
3. Should there be any sort of barrier between the battery and the ground below, since part of the battery compartment is cut out.

Thanks.

- Dave

·
Registered
381 Posts
Go to the tips and tricks section-it was written up in full detail

you do have to cut a good bit of the battery box and probably need to put a small peice of 2X4 on the bottem but no-the battery shouldn't fall out or anything

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LordMDP said:
Go to the tips and tricks section-it was written up in full detail

I looked there. Two links look like they deal with this. One is for first gens (mine is 2nd) and the one which deals with 2nd gens is a broken link. :(

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Not sure if this will help since I have a 636 shock but this is what it looked like after cutting the battery box tray. The blue rag shows how much space the reservior took up and kinda the area need to cut away.

And this is how my battery sits post shock install. It sits ON the shock reservior and the fuse tray is off to the side.

Yes it's high but the seat doesn't make contact with it and a year later no ill effects have been noticed.

Good luck eh!!! :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good thing Santa (who, contrary to his Avatar, looks remarkably like Nexus) brought me a dremmel toolkit! Sounds like it's time to get creative, one little tiny cut at a time.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Nexus242 said:
Not sure if this will help since I have a 636 shock but this is what it looked like after cutting the battery box tray.  The blue rag shows how much space the reservior took up and kinda the area need to cut away.

Good luck eh!!!   :)
You also have a 1st gen, he has a 2nd ;D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nexus242 said:
Not sure if this will help since I have a 636 shock but this is what it looked like after cutting the battery box tray.  The blue rag shows how much space the reservior took up and kinda the area need to cut away.

And this is how my battery sits post shock install.  It sits ON the shock reservior and the fuse tray is off to the side.

Yes it's high but the seat doesn't make contact with it and a year later no ill effects have been noticed.

Good luck eh!!!   :)
wait so you have your battery sitting ontop of the resevoir? isn't that kinda dangerous with all the vibrations? I mean suzuki kept that battery pretty well snug and damnpened with the original setup.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
shekshishekki said:
wait so you have your battery sitting ontop of the resevoir? isn't that kinda dangerous with all the vibrations? I mean suzuki kept that battery pretty well snug and damnpened with the original setup.
It's a V-Twin bike and like I said, 1 year later and no problems.

·
Registered
606 Posts
mtgeek said:
Looks perfect. What did you cut it with? Did you cut it with the battery box still installed?

Any tips?
We cut it with a Dremel. I did the one pictured but Kelly normally does them. When you buy one of our shocks locally we install it and do the mod kit for under $50. Ride in ride out deal.

We will be sending detailed photo instructions with the SVRS shocks soon and we are photoing them on our website as soon as we finish up the details. We will have kits soon (that was back burnered for awhile) that will have instructions, templates and the correct spacer material.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DucOwner said:
We will be sending detailed photo instructions with the SVRS shocks soon and we are photoing them on our website as soon as we finish up the details. We will have kits soon (that was back burnered for awhile) that will have instructions, templates and the correct spacer material. 
Spacer material??? Please tell me about that.

As I put above - I've got it installed, but the battery is too tall. What do I do about that and do I need something between the reservoir and the bottom of the battery?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
buy yourself two cheap foam mousepads, and get a chunk of thick foam (old seat foam is what I used).

put the toolkit in. put the thick foam around the shock res, not over it. cut a piece of mousepad to fit over that foam AND the shock res. install battery. battery will sit on top of shock res/mousepad (hasn't hurt mine in a couple thousand miles now).

Now...look at the bottom of your seat. there is a big thick chunk of heavy rubbery foam that squishes into the battery. rip it off. lay a piece of foam mousepad over the battery. install seat (you will have to press a little to get the holes to line up).

this is how I made it fit on my 04...let us know how it works out for ya!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts