Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically the stock head light is not cutting it at night. I live in an area with no street lights on some seriously curvy roads. The stock single light is not cutting it, even on high. I know someone made a lighted chin spoiler, where can I get this? Also, do any of the dual head light kits make more light? How about mounting up some extra lights?
Thanks
ac

Q

·
0 Posts
There's a spanish company called Metrakit that makes the spoiler with two small fog lights integrated but I have no clue how you can get one state side. I've already called the US distributor and it's nothing they keep in stock.
Sorry I'm no help but maybe it'll give you somewhere to start.

·
Registered
186 Posts
you're best bet, I think, would be to get a set a auto aux projector lights (the 55+ W ones), wire them up to a toggle on the clutch perch, and mount each one next to the caliper.

you want to aim them a bit upward as to light up far and low. It isn't the prettiest setup, but it gives you 1/3 more light than stock.

also, you could look into new headlight (one that fits into stock bezel) that separate the lows and highs. they make them for the metric cruisers and will work on our SV. and make sure to upgrade the bulbs to +10W over stock for the high.

good luck, and ride safe.

Q

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Put a Sylvania XtraVision bulb in. I think the 55/65 watt is the standard XtraVision in H4. The quality of the light, the shape of the beam, and the projection is far superior to the stock bulb. Try adjusting the headlight's vertical aim also.

And, not joking, if you still have problems with night vision you should go to an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist) just to make sure there's nothing wrong with your eyes. I find the stock headlight with the XtraVisions more than adequate.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
shekshishekki said:
throw in some xenons in the 5000k range and it should give you more lighting...just a cheap fix
True Xenons are not a "cheap" fix. And Ive yet to see true Xenon's (read HID) on a m/c (yet......[evil grin])
Those cheap "Xenon" bulbs are a cheap fix, and you get what you pay for.
Anything higher than the 5000k's and your actually losing light.

now back to the topic at hand.
You could try some PIAA bulbs, or Sylvania Silverstars or Xtravisions like AndyAuger said.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Do what I did -- I replaced the stock 55/60W bulb with a off-road 90-130W bulb.

Is it street legal? Nope. But it's super bright, everyone sees you, hasn't melted the housing or blown fuses (4500+ Miles), cops haven't hassled me, and it was only $19 at the bike shop.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Sylvania silver star H4 bulbs are available at your local auto store and give off great white light. 4200 degree I think. Also, I had to adjust my headlight up from the factory setting. Much better!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Get the Xenon's Not a cheep fix but well worth the Safty that comes with them.
You can see the road Alot better and people see you Alot better just thoes two reasons made me dish out the two bills they cost.
But I also bought the yellow sv for the same reason maby i have isues lol
Anyway i got the 6500K one, they say its in the blue range which it is, but i find it more oncomming traffic friendly, the 5000k one people just think you got on your high beams and flash you, and 5k and 6k make the same amount of light. More light and less battery draw, think they run on 5w after they fire up. How can you beat that?
this place has nice bulbs http://www.xenondepot.com/index.php

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can always install that 1,000,000 power spotlight to your SV. Some guy on here did it, but the pics are not working. do a search on SPOTLIGHT if intrested

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've got a Superblue 90/100 and it's blindingly bright. Picked it up at an Autozone for $12. The bulb gets lots of compliments from other riders.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is amazing. I posted this over a year ago and it is back! I dont even own a naked any more! My 02 S is much better but still not that great. The problem is that I live in a hilly area and everyone has SUVs with superwhites in them. When I turn corners my lights just lose out to theirs. I am getting Sylvania's next.
ac

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
andyauger said:
I tried the Silverstars, but prefer the XtraVisions.
can you elaborate on the difference?

haven't tried a extravision, I just had to replace my bulb on mine, I still had the original stock bulb @ 118k, highbeam went in it.
I put a silverstar in, an improvement over stock, but not even close to the stock bulb in my 920r, reflector shape & size does waaaay more than wattage,

at one time I checked into auxillary lighting, decided just to not ride a lot at nite, good lghting is expensive. I was looking at a pair of Hella 5000s with cornering lamp reflectors rather than a driving beam or fog beam, with HID they would draw only 35w each (comparable to 180w halogen) $700

1 - 16 of 16 Posts