Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, over the winter I decided to do a 03 cam swap and rejet the carbs... (among many other cosmetic things!). I just hooked up the battery and tried to start the bike, but no luck! The starter tries, but all I hear is clicking and the starter motor trying to turn the bike over.... I hear click-click-click and the starter motor trying to work it's magic...

The one thing I did notice (that I hope I messed up on before I'm forced to open up the top-end again): on that large boot (over the wiring harness) on the right side of the bike, there are 4 plugs there (3 black, 1 white), The white, 2-prong plug is not plugged in, and I can't find anything to hook it up to - Is something supposed to be plugged into that!? (the other 3 black plugs are: large front headlight harness, 2-prong radiator fan, and 2-prong radiator temp. sensor).

The other thing that I didn't do (which I suspect I will have to): I didn't check the valve clearances after doing the cam swap. :rolleyes: Does this problem sound like what happens when the valve clearances are off?!?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
828 Posts
sounds like you seriously screwed up here. your bike just maybe a loss.

jk of course. sounds like dead batt. try that first

·
Registered
367 Posts
You didn't mention whether you charged the battery before installing. Even if the battery is unhooked and in a warm environment, it will lose its charge over the course of a month or two. I'm guessing its dead based on your description.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I hooked the battery up to my car with jumper cables... I guess I will test the battery first. the battery was unhooked and stored indoors over the winter, since probably beginning of Nov... :(

It did sound like the engine was turning over, but it was just making a clicking noise (when it was hooked up to my car and had enough juice)...

I thought I had that all dialed-in correctly when I did the cam swap, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to re-check the timing marks....

any clues about the right-hand wiring junction!? is there something under there that needs to be plugged in, like the spark plug wires or the fuel pump or something that would definitely kill, but not completely stop the bike from running?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, okay, i'm about 95% sure it's just a dead battery... checked the charge and it said 11.8, checked with just the key turned and it said 10.6... checked with the started pushed, and it droped to a whopping 4.(something) volts... yikes. I just bought this piece of crap last year!?

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
yep, okay, i'm about 95% sure it's just a dead battery... checked the charge and it said 11.8, checked with just the key turned and it said 10.6... checked with the started pushed, and it droped to a whopping 4.(something) volts... yikes. I just bought this piece of crap last year!?
thought so :)

battery tenders are nice if you don't ride your bike at all over winter.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Battery tenders are your friend.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't blame the battery. You just need to charge it fully. Not even the best battery will hold a charge through the winter (unless its on a tender). Jump starting with a car will not provide enough juice unless you have the car running.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Even if it's a dead battery you want to manually turn the motor a couple rotations to make sure the valves don't hit and there is no binding before you crank it over. ;)

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Don't blame the battery. You just need to charge it fully. Not even the best battery will hold a charge through the winter (unless its on a tender). Jump starting with a car will not provide enough juice unless you have the car running.
you know what's funny? everything in the post is bad information.

first, my bike was parked in october and fired up just fine in march. And it is an OLD battery.

second, starting a bike off a running car is a horrible idea because the amperage from the car's charging circuit can smoke your regulator rectifier in a blink of an eye.

·
Registered
367 Posts
you know what's funny? everything in the post is bad information.

first, my bike was parked in october and fired up just fine in march. And it is an OLD battery.

second, starting a bike off a running car is a horrible idea because the amperage from the car's charging circuit can smoke your regulator rectifier in a blink of an eye.
Where you getting this from? The jumpers are hooked to the battery on the bike, and amperage is pretty much limited by the voltage of the circuit, size of the wires, the current draw from the bike, and of course, the fuses in the bike. Most cars have voltage regulators that are set between 13.5 and 14.5V, just like the bike. Unless you have a car that has excessive voltage, there shouldn't be any danger to the R/R on the bike.

I honestly don't believe you had a battery go from October->March and start the bike, UNLESS, it was on a tender.

This is straight from the Yuasa website:

"Self Discharge-One not-so-nice feature of lead acid batteries is that they discharge all by themselves even if not used. A general rule of thumb is a one percent per day rate of self-discharge. "

Oct-March is more than 120 days, which would equate to being pretty much dead.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Where you getting this from? The jumpers are hooked to the battery on the bike, and amperage is pretty much limited by the voltage of the circuit, size of the wires, the current draw from the bike, and of course, the fuses in the bike. Most cars have voltage regulators that are set between 13.5 and 14.5V, just like the bike. Unless you have a car that has excessive voltage, there shouldn't be any danger to the R/R on the bike.

I honestly don't believe you had a battery go from October->March and start the bike, UNLESS, it was on a tender.

This is straight from the Yuasa website:

"Self Discharge-One not-so-nice feature of lead acid batteries is that they discharge all by themselves even if not used. A general rule of thumb is a one percent per day rate of self-discharge. "

Oct-March is more than 120 days, which would equate to being pretty much dead.
It isn't voltage thats the problem, its AMPERAGE. The charging circuit on a car is much more powerful than on our little bikes.

Believe what you want about my battery, but it's the truth. I don't own a battery tender as I usually ride throughout the winter but since I got a dualsport, the SV stayed in the garage under a cover and untended.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It isn't voltage thats the problem, its AMPERAGE. The charging circuit on a car is much more powerful than on our little bikes.

Believe what you want about my battery, but it's the truth. I don't own a battery tender as I usually ride throughout the winter but since I got a dualsport, the SV stayed in the garage under a cover and untended.
Ever heard of ohms law? Amperage is a function of voltage and resistance. The resistance of the circuits in the bike are not going to change when you hook up the jumper cables. Even if it did, the amperage capability of the car charging system is still less than the battery (150 CCA for a fully charged SV battery vs 100 amps for the typical car alternator).

·
Registered
17,602 Posts

False statement. A car's battery provides a helluva lot more cranking amps than the bike's battery.

It will work.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts