Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

help: how to Clean dirty old gauge covers?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  o0nkdsv 
#1 ·
So i bought my sv as a salvage (1000 bucks ;) )...... and it looks like brake fluid spilled all over the instrument cluster and fogged up the clear plastic over the gauges.....

any recomendations?

will add pics if need be

#2 ·
Hey, I don't have a guaranteed solution, but in my modeling days (plastic airplanes and cars, not runway) we used to sand out glazed clear plastic pieces with incredibly fine grit sand paper (available at the hobby shop) and then clear coat.

Warning: It is an ..i n c r e d i b l y.. slow process. I'd look for a set of trashed out gauges and see if you can salvage the front face off them.

Shoot me a PM, I may have a set coming in a few days I can help you out with. Just depends on what shape they are when they get here.

P.S. A set of vapor gauges is only 120ish smackers and they have SV specific kits. Link to gauges

#8 ·
You can buy complete top shell for less than $75 - $64 at SHSPowersports

Part number 34150-19F00

Or just go to Tap Plastics, pick up a piece of replacement plastic & use the old one for pattern & cut to shape.
(they can also probably advise/have products for re-finishing)

#13 ·
I'd bet with more time, more polishing, the turtle wax polish would get you more like 95%. That is the polish that I use and it works good on windshields, turntable covers, etc. A coat of wax will get you another couple percent. You will never get it like new, but it should be livable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.