Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Thrustmaster front and rear stand set.

No complaints with the rear stand ... works very well with Nate's swingarm spool sliders!   :)

Front stands are no good ... there is a difference in length on the front forks.   :mad: :eek: :(

Can someone post some pictures of a front stand that has been altered to work with the SV650?

Can someone post a picture or two of a stem or triple tree stand and describe it?

I have an arc welder (stick) and I am pretty handy with tools.  However I need help to see and understand the solution!  Is a stem stand built like a front stand, it seems that this is the best way
to elevate the front to remove the forks which I have to do next week or so.

Please help!  Post Pics!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Thruster stands and they work fine for me. Granted, I'm a little apprehensive about balancing the front on those pivoting angle pieces, but haven't had a problem yet. And once up the bike is stable enough that I trust it (gave it the shake test up on the stands).

Not trying to be a jerk, but you know you have to have the rear on its stand before trying to get the front up. I think I remember reading on here about somebody who tried it the other way around.

If I had it to do again I would get a triple tree stand. I like the Thruster (rear, especially), but the front is only good for tire maintenance and whatnot, not good for anything dealing with fork mods. But the price was right for the set, so I can't complain.

So yeah, why are the front forks different lengths?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Take the pinch bolt out of the right fork before lifting, and it will sit level. Do not take it out while it is already lifted, or you will bung up the threads.

PUT IT BACK BEFORE RIDING!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
a front stand that goes into the steering stem is a different animal than a front fork stand. for photos, i suggest going to http://www.pit-bull.com and browsing their stands to see how they work.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responses ...

FYI, the rear stand is rock solid and works very well with Nate's sliders.
I will take a closer look at the front pinch bolt.

The only reason I bought the front stand is for maintenence on front wheel.
Especially tire changes.

I will also look into creating some form of metal three-sided "cup" that will hold on
to the fork bottom. Right now if there is any forward or backward movement from the rear
stand, the front angles will roll and drop the bike down. With the cup being 2 or so inches
high, it will not rotate as it is supported by the forks.

I will show pictures when I build it this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts