Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 2001 sv650 and i was taking off the fork caps to put on adjustable ones, cap on the right came off withought a hitch. but the cap on the left would not come off i ended up stirping it, bad, likes its half the size it used to be. i have no idea what im doing wrong does it thread opposite i am so lost and every time i look at it i get sick to my stomache any ideas on how i can get this off would be much appreciated. also will the forks collapse if i take both fork caps off?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
If you're replacing the cap I wouldn't worry about stripping it. The cap is made of soft aluminum and the forks are steel so ruining a cap isn't all that uncommon. If you remove both caps the forks will collapse if there is nothing supporting the front end like a stand under the triple clamp. The threads aren't reversed, maybe the previous owner put the caps on wrong and just forced it, causing you grief now. I would make sure the front is supported so there is as little pressure on that cap as possible, work the cap off as best you can, clean out any metal shavings, make sure the threads on the fork are intact, and install the new caps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awsome i just got it off long i ended up pounding a deep well socket on it to fit the striped cap but man that was on there tight i had to take a long pole on the end of the wrench for extral leverage. does anyone know where i can get some adjustable fork caps for cheap? thanx for all the help

·
Registered
799 Posts
did you loosen triple pinch bolts before taking caps off. if not that is why you stripped it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
to late now :)
at least make sure they are loose when putting new ones on, it makes life easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts