Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a quick fix: my clutch cable snapped yesterday.. in 4 lanes of heavy traffic :eek:. It broke right at the lever.

None of the local dealers have a cable in stock, and I've got a two-day ride planned for the weekend.

Can anyone recommend a quick (but safe) fix, hopefully that can be done without the Suzuki part?

thanks,
D

·
Registered
278 Posts
You could try to find something that fits into the clutch lever and then use one of those cable clamps to clamp the 2 cables together. Just put the clamp where it can slide back and forth without hitting anything.

These are the clamps im talking about, they actually are quite strong.

This would of course require some degree of splicing and rigging to get it even remotly close. You need both the inside cable and the outside sheath so it will be more involved than just simply connecting two cables.

Hopefully that helps :)

N

·
0 Posts
You can buy barrel clamps at the hardware store. Nobody had a clutch cable?!? unbelieveable!

Plan A: You could try a cable from another SV-engined bike (SV naked id you have SVS, or vice versa, or DL 650 V-Strom).

Plan B: You could also wander the showroom looking for a likely donor.

Plan C: Be nice to the counterman (go in mid-morning instead of five min before closing). If you bring in your failed cable he may let you try and match one from his inventory if you explain the situation. If he is cooperative and you get what you need, donuts are always a nice thank you...(I've "paid" for a lot of stuff with donuts in the past! ;))

:)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Year? (Since this is the 99-02 tech section I'm assuming 1st gen, but who knows for sure?)

Location?

If you're near the Twin Cities, I'll bring you my spare (new) clutch cable...

[edit: Is there a moto bone-yard near you? Or you order the part on-line and eat the cost for 2nd day air or hastened ground service.]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big thanks to all-- I ordered one to arrive Friday pm, and got an offer from a local racer to borrow his spare (just in case). :)

Advice appreciated,
D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts