Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've been a long time looking and I have finally decided to buy a bike. I have two SV650 that I am lloking at and I want your helps. One is a 2000 SV650 naked with 22,000 miles. Asking $2700. The other is a 2003 SV650 naked with 30,000 miles asking $3000. Is the fact of the 2000 SV having a carburetor over the 2003's FI worth buying the 2003 for more money and with more miles?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
881 Posts
go with the 2000 650 less miles and first gens are way better then seconds any day.

they last longer have less to worry about.

·
Registered
704 Posts
and first gens are way better then seconds any day.

they last longer have less to worry about.
Really? Says who? I'm pretty happy with my '04 with 2k miles. And I got it for only slightly more than 3g's.

Personally, I think if you can be patient, you can do better than either of those 2 deals. And I wouldn't steer you away from either gen, I like them both.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i love the 03 SVs but that is a ridiculous mileage. if neither particularly set you off. keep waiting til something you like pops up. I wish i had waited for an 03 for better ergonomics. but hey, thats what wrenching is for right.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ya i would wait. prices might be high for a bit not that it is getting to be better weather but there are great deals to be found on sv's. personally i like the fuel injection. i had a cb in the past with carbs and i hated dealing with the carbs. i like working on my bike, especially when adding mods but hate monotonous maintance. i also personally like the fuel injection because i dont ride in the winter.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Really? Says who?
RandyO -- the SVhaver with the most miles of ANYBODY (last I checked at least, 130k)

Personally, I would take the first gen based on aesthetics and the carbs. I also would note that your other choice is an 03, seeing as it has a unique subframe that could be a hassle with fender eliminators and exhausts.

Those prices aren't bad, but the prices often differ pretty significantly depending on where you live.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
The principle practical advantage of the 2gen over the 1 gen is that FI compentates for changes in altitude and the carbs cannot. Everything else is subject to differences in taste. (OK I think the 2d gen is a little lighter.)

If you're planning to ride from KC to Vegas and back with regularity, having a 2d gen would be a better ride.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Be man and get a 1000. Let the flaming begin.

·
Registered
704 Posts
RandyO -- the SVhaver with the most miles of ANYBODY (last I checked at least, 130k)

Personally, I would take the first gen based on aesthetics and the carbs. I also would note that your other choice is an 03, seeing as it has a unique subframe that could be a hassle with fender eliminators and exhausts.

Those prices aren't bad, but the prices often differ pretty significantly depending on where you live.
So wait... because somebody has an older model that has more miles on it than any newer model = Gen1 last longer and have less to worry about??

I don't buy it... I know there is a cam difference and fi vs. carbs (and fi vs carbs are personal preference). Seriously, not trying to be a dick... is there something written somewhere that a gen2 is any less reliable than a gen1? I just really find that hard to believe that Suzuki would make the second generation of a bike to be less reliable.

·
Registered
628 Posts
So wait... because somebody has an older model that has more miles on it than any newer model = Gen1 last longer and have less to worry about??
I merely quoted his mileage to reference to his impressive experiences with SV's. Last I saw him argue this point, he had some strong points with evidence to back it up. I'll look around for the specific post I'm talking about, but chances are he'll chime in himself.

·
Registered
628 Posts
RandyO said:
in cold weather, my carburated SV was a lot more reliable starting than my FI V-strom is with 100,000 less miles
RandyO said:
I've had to replace my RR twice, once at 50,000 and again at 120,000 but it never kept my Sv from starting & running , sure, I had to put it on a battery charger, but I had no problem starting it and riding it to the dealer for repair

The SV is one of the most reliable bikes on the market today
RandyO said:
so what is it that you have to adjust on a carbed SV that you don't have to adjust on a FI'd SV?

both recommend syncronization every 7500 miles

the FI also has throttle positon sensor adjustments

the carbed SV actually requires LESS adjustment
I don't want to speak for RandyO, but those are just a few of the posts I've seen of his speaking for the 1st gen (although sometimes it may be for the SV in general).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Offer 2k on the first gen (show him the cash in 20s) if he doesnt bite then walk, with that mileage its not worth much more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts