Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again guys, yet another problem with my svs, for a few weeks now its been having trouble starting, it would turn over but just wouldn't start, now every morning it will turn over about twice, then, loud CLICK noise and no turn over, i wait a few moments then try again, CLICK then hum :( i turn the key off then wait 5 minutes, turn it back and what do you know, it starts right up :s
this has happened every morning for the last week and its getting kinda annoying, pretty sure its the starter motor as I've tested the battery and generator and they're fine, just wanted your opinions before i shell out $150 for a new starter as i have read the starter solanoid can go bad quite easily on our lovely little bikes along with a few other things that might cause this (kill switch, kick stand switch etc)

thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
And, jump the starter motor directly to the lug with a car battery, car off and see if the motor spins properly and starts the engine normally. But, answer golden's question first. Don't run out and buy a starter motor before verifying the battery condition. At rest fully charged, 12.5-13VDC and while cranking not falling much below 11VDC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys, thanks for the replies, while off, i get 12.5~V on the battery and while cranking, it went down to around 10.5-11V, just to add a bit more info, if i hold the starter and flip the kill switch rapidly (got annoyed this morning and was trying anything) it starts after i flip it back the fourth or fifth time :S and it only happens when the engine is stone cold, been sitting overnight, when i go to start it after work (8 hours) it starts fine after turning over once or twice (knock on wood).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really? it appears to work fine, ie. when i flip it off the motor does nothing and when i flip it on it tries?

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Starters are sensitive to corrosion because they need a lot of current to work. If you have extra resistance in a circuit, it'll prevent the neccessary current from reaching the starter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...possibly an unrelated issue, there is also gas dripping from the exhaust now :( even when turned off :S

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
When you try to start the bike and it doesn't fire up, it still pulls fuel in. This can foul your plugs and kill your compression by washing the oil off the cylinder walls and dilluting your oil.

You can try pulling the plugs and cranking the motor over a few times to pump out any excess gas in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, that makes sense, so I checked all the connections along the wiring loom in relation to the starter in any way and there doesn't appear to be any corrosion or loose hookups, any other ideas?

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
It's also possible that your bike has become flooded and/or hydrolocked with fuel. That would prevent the starter from turning the motor. That would point me in the direction of the carbs leaking down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just read your thread while desperately trying to figure out why my bike wouldnt start.

Right below the clutch lever there is a plug, mine was slightly unplugged. One simple "click" and everything went back to working fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL the most simple thing fixed it! i was worried i was going to have to tare out the carbs, replace the starter or check every inch of the wiring loom but it was just the clutch switch! haha
thanks alot everyone!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and as for the leak, it was coolant from the overflow tube and the gas smell was from the front carb vacuum nipple, the cap had fallen off i suppose :s

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
LOL the most simple thing fixed it! i was worried i was going to have to tare out the carbs, replace the starter or check every inch of the wiring loom but it was just the clutch switch! haha
thanks alot everyone!
Doctors have a saying--"When you hear hoofbeats, don't start looking for zebras".

I was away for a few days, and saw your "15/47" question just this morning.
You will notice a big difference below 20 mph. Above that, the only changes
will be more shifting and looking for 7th gear for awhile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts