Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I knew it was coming, just didnt know when, my first crash, and it was pretty bad and of course it really wasnt my fault! I love my sv more than life itself and am going to rebuild it, engine/frame/rear tire untouched. Front rim broken, one front rotor, front fender, fork severed, rear cosmetic fairing, and bent exhaust pipe where it goes into my bike. I have pics here: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZM2blu1aOXFA My left arm caught the idiots mirror and it was all over from there, I am ok though thank God, but somehow he ran over my front tire which really messed my bike up, but luckily my frame and gas tank untouched. Any and all advice will be so incredibly appreciated, some questions. Anything I should watch out for when replacing parts (ive found almost all parts i need on ebay), know where to get a new headlight? Will a 2002 sv650 front guage cluster fit on my 2001 (the indicator lights are on the right instead of below), how do I go about fixing those bent bar ends? That exhaust looks pretty jacked up, but I found quite a few online, full exhausts, will i be able to just unbolt the broken one and put on the new one? Any and all advice will be much much much appreciated, I do have the clymer manual and will be following it to a T. Thank you so much for any feedback!!!! Broken without a bike,
-j

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow that bike is fucked up
just buy new bar ends they are like 20 bucks
as long as nothing on the motor is damaged that exhaust should just unbolt.
i would think all the guages off the nakids are the same for first gens. but i am not postive
www.ronayers.com
www.bikebandit.com for parts

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Holy schiit mon!, that looks like it's going to be expensive to fix. I'd check the frame and triple clamps closely before buying any parts. What exactly made the forks break in pieces? I've never seen fork spings come out from a crash. :eek:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have seen springs come out
but not from a crash like that im talking like 80 mph into a car

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Wow, I would have said that'd been run head-on into something solid from the damage... Not nice. Anyway, just a big, big +1 for Marc there, with damage that severe you want to get the frame (and yokes if you choose to reuse them) checked out for straightness before you drop a penny on it- it might seem an unneccesary precaution but a small expense now could stop you wasting a fortune on an unrecoverable bike.

Good luck though- I know if mine got balled up, if it was at all possible to fix it I'd do it, even if it made no economic sense.

·
Registered
84 Posts
99-02 Naked gauges are all the same. You can find the headlight at the same place you're getting all the other parts, ebay. I have complete forks, complete front wheel, red fender, front calipers, and black (home diy paintjob) tail-piece if you need them.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya the guage im looking at was from an 02 sv650S (not naked) so i doubt it'll fit. How would you guys advise me on checking the frame, short of hauling that monster to the bike shop. Im going to be devastated if I cant fix it! I could always buy a frame off ebay right? ;) ;) It wasn't a head on, i was doing about 40, was swiped by an idiot coming at me, i thinking that the fork snapped cause he ran over my front wheel im guessing, i was in the air when that happened though so i dont know (his tire was all shredded up). And ubermensch I would love to talk to you about that stuff asap! I am waiting on auctions that end in 1-3 days so email me asap. The radiator is bent a little, does it look like i need to replace it, or should i wait until i can start my bike again and see if it works or not. Ug, how i hate being on four wheels!!!! (thanks for your quick responses guys, so so appreciate it)

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Glad you are OK!

+2, you really need to get the frame checked out. it only takes a small tweak to keep things from fitting/ working. You need to take the frame to the shop to get it checked. A good shop will have a rack that measures all the right stuff.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I've got a complete stock exhaust I can let you have cheap. It's just hanging in my garage, but seriously, take a good look for any cracks, creases, or anything of the sort on the frame. Especially around the steering head. There are places that will measure and test the frame for you, GMDComputrack, or something like that, but I don't know if you're near one or not.

Where are you at, 9 cats?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im having a hell of a time removing the allen wrench bolts on the top of the forks that tighten the frame onto the fork. I tried and tried and got nothing, slipped the wrench on both once and dont want to do that again to risk stripping it, anyone have any ideas???? :(

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
WD-40, lets it soak a wile. Or use a propane torch to heat it up a just a little bit. I do mean just a bit! Or put the Allen wrench in and tap it with a soft mallet a few times. don't try and turn the wrench with the hammer! the tappin will loosen the bolt.

Some times this tricks work some times that don't.

You could also try an impact driver, if it is really stuck

Good luck!
-Eric

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW  :eek:  damn good news to hear you're ok!   Why the hell doesn't the dude's insurance pay to have it fixed professionally??  ???  Was it no-fault or something??

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think it was no-fault, his tire was on the line but not over it. And thanks for the bolt tips, i totally got all of them off! If anyone has any front end parts for a nekid 01 let me know, i'm dyin to put this puppy back together!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Holy ish man that header is one of the nastiest crash pics I've seen. Good luck getting her back together, and glad YOU didn't have anything that flattened!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
random question...i have a nekid 01 650, and i take very long rides quite often, do windshields really work and does anybody know of a large cheap one that is somewhat easily removable for those rides.....the wind just kills me after like 5 hours.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Whoa man....that bike is Fubared. I'm glad you made it out alive. My recommendation is sell the engine, frame, tank and back wheel on ebay and start over with a used bike. It would save you alot of time, money and risk of ending up with a bike that still has unseen chassis damage.
I completely understand your impulse to keep your baby, but SV's seem to have pretty consistant build quality, so you would probably end up with a bike that feels exactly like your original. Plus, this time of year, alot of bikes are being sold for cheap and alot of them are already decked out in all sorts of goodies.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: i got my forks in, had to replace triple clamp cause it was bent, somehow the metal bride the rear of my seat locks onto on the very end of the subframe was bent, hammered it out though and completed my tailed end BUT, i need help because my rear seat will not lock into the lock, it doesn't click in, anybody know how i can fix this, i have a source to replace it but it shouldnt be broken. Pictures will come soon, thank you all for your help, it has helped me a ton and this website and forum is amazing! also i am about to put my front tire on and brake lines and calipers, any close-up pictures of the front end and which cables and bolts go where would be amazing as i forgot to take closeups before i just went and took it all apart, (ya i know not smart), any pics will help make this puzzle a lot easier, thanks again!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
holy crap that bike is messed up, glad to hear you walked away from it

the bottom seat lock probably just needs to be adjusted, loosen the screws and put the seat on slowly, it should line itself up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts