Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i didn't see a "gear" section anywhere so i decided this was the second best place for this thread.

I currently have a 100 dollar AFX helmet that is heavy, noisy, and looks like ****.
I will be spending no more than $330 on a new lid. I have been looking at the Shoei TZ-R in Metalic Red with the chrome tinted shield.
The helmet must be light weight, preferably quiet, and the 330 dollars must include a tinted shield.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Well i didn't see a "gear" section anywhere so i decided this was the second best place for this thread.

I currently have a 100 dollar AFX helmet that is heavy, noisy, and looks like ****.
I will be spending no more than $330 on a new lid. I have been looking at the Shoei TZ-R in Metalic Red with the chrome tinted shield.
The helmet must be light weight, preferably quiet, and the 330 dollars must include a tinted shield.

Thanks for any help.

The Shoei RF-1000 is a great helmet... as is their top line helmet.. but they are fairly pricey on average... if you can get a deal on a RF then go for it...

Personally I like AGV's helmets the GP-Tech, Ti-Tech, and the GP-Pro (called
XR2 or XR-2 in north america) are well made, full featured, comfortable helmets... and they are usually well priced... I got a XR-2 with the Rossi replica paint scheme for under 300... that is not usual as I got a killer deal... but the non Race Replica XR-2 helmets are often under $300

I find the fit and finish of the materials and paint on the Shoei, Arai, AGV are amond the best... there are other good ones, but those are my top 3...

The only reason I go with the Race models vs the street ones is that the race models are still made in europe (generally itally but some in czech) but the cheaper models are made in china and I refuse to buy anything made in china that could have an impact on my safety or health... If they had them made in Japan, I would have no problem buying the street/Road helmets as Japansese workmanship is consistant and high quality.

You don't want to know what I think about HJC 2 year throw away helmets :p (yeah I know some love them)

You have to try helmets on though... generally you will be OK if you buy a DOT stickered helmet.. so go with what fits you well and has the features and quality you want.... rather than by other's opinions

just as long as it fits the top of your dome well... a decent brand of helmet will have replaceable cheek pads to fine tune the fit... so make sure it fits comfortably quite sung (remembering it will loosen up a bit in the first few weeks) and fit the cheek pads after that...

a lot of people fit the face and don't consider the top of the head... which is a good way to get knocked out or worse in a crash when your head is sliding around inside the top of the helmet...

also consider if you get a good helmet with replaceable parts it may last longer than others... also quality lasts a bit longer too so a lot of times you do get what you pay for...

Again this is why I like AGV... the price VS quality is in line with what I like...
I'd love an Arai but they are just too d a m n expensive for me...

·
Registered
290 Posts
You know what they say.....Once you go

you never go back!!!!

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=135028

I just bought a Vector and I am pretty happy with it, the vents work better then I would have thought, this website is selling them for 349, spend the extra 20 bucks and wear sunglasses for a while.

p.s. This is my 5th Arai, and it true what they say, you can never wear another helmet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i bought a Gmax helmet for 100 bucks and for the money its a **** good helmet... could use a bit better ventilation but its fairly quiet, comfortable, good impact ratings and looks pretty good.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
got my 2008 Shoei RF-1000 last year for only $260.00

Light, less wind noise (than my AGV), comfy (no pad pressure on the ears), and very good wind ventilation.

Also I'm not bias so I'm thinking about checking out Arai, though I have no reason to NOT get a Shoei.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
How old is your helmet? Unless you are really due for a replacement, I'd suggest you start wearing ear plugs and defer buying a new one until you actually need it. ("Looks" don't count as a "need".)

But, if you must have a new helmet, buy a solid (visible) color - such as white, silver, or yellow. You'll save a lot of money.

FWIW, I wear a Shoei X11 which is easily the best helmet I have ever owned. But you can get practically equivalent protection for a lot less money.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Maybe this makes me a "noob" but I have a cheap HJC CL-15. It's my 2nd one, as I had the misfortune of "quality testing" my first. I landed on it doing around 40 or so, and I'm still alive to tell about. I've found that HJC and KBC fit my dome the best, as others are generally too skinny for my giant hed (like an orange on a toothpick!). I'm sure there are many reasons to get a pricier one, and I probably will someday, but these work well enough for me not to have to worry about putting it on before a ride.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Maybe this makes me a "noob" but I have a cheap HJC CL-15. It's my 2nd one, as I had the misfortune of "quality testing" my first. I landed on it doing around 40 or so, and I'm still alive to tell about. I've found that HJC and KBC fit my dome the best, as others are generally too skinny for my giant hed (like an orange on a toothpick!). I'm sure there are many reasons to get a pricier one, and I probably will someday, but these work well enough for me not to have to worry about putting it on before a ride.
I had a KBC "Racer 1" prior to my Shoei, which I also "field tested". I liked it very much but KBC discontinued it and I had trouble putting on my glasses with their other models.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Anything made in Italy or Japan.
China already owns us. I refuse to contribute by purchasing cheap, throwaway plastic items to support thier economy.
There.

I would agree.. but it is not because of who owns who and where it is from... I just hate hit and miss quality control and crappy products made by people who are trying to do whatever they can to make it look ok long enough for someone to buy it...

I prefer ethical business practice which is why I love Japanese made products... whatever they are... while there are always exceptions... 9 times out of 10 a Japanese person is not going to go out of their way to try and screw you over... they have too much self respect for that... and they respect the work they do regardless of how seemingly menial it is... and when they screw up.. it is a real big deal..

Italian manufacturing.. is almost always top notch from what I found... perhaps they may try to screw someone over but it isn't due to workmanship... other european is not bad...as is north american and even mexican made...

I wouldn't make note of it myself.. but I recommend products, companies, and customer service of exceptional people and places and will go out of my way to bash the hell out of slackers who couldn't give a sh!t about their products and try to hide crappy workmanship... or cut corners leading to inferior product... Too bad people now have come to expect stuff to turn to sh!t within a year... and will buy a sh!t product just because it is just a little bit cheaper.... I've always found when I buy a quality product, it looks better longer, functions to a higher level longer... and plain lasts longer... if that means I am spending an extra 5-15% then that is fine by me....

I have Portugal, Italian, and South american made leather shoes which have lasted me between 5 and 10 years and still look good... where as the chinese ones I got had to be replaced within 6 months to a year...

so... moving away from my rant.... and back on the helmets...

The best bang for the buck if you can find one under 300 is going to be an RF-1000 or AGV XR-2 I think... it just depends on if they fit your head...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've tried on both Shoei and Arai and neither fit my head well. My first helmet was an HJC and like someone else said...it was a throw away. Good helmet for a couple years but as the pads got more broken in the helmet got very loose.

I've had my scorpion now for a couple years and love it...although it was TIGHT at first until the cheek pads broke in. Once they did this is the only helmet I've put on and just felt like it fit like a glove. I did a write up on it and am thinking about getting a new one. Also looking into the O'neal helmets (if I can find one to try one). Write up here: http://2wheels2nuts.blogspot.com/2009/03/review-scorpion-exo-400-helmet.html

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
I've tried on both Shoei and Arai and neither fit my head well. My first helmet was an HJC and like someone else said...it was a throw away. Good helmet for a couple years but as the pads got more broken in the helmet got very loose.

I've had my scorpion now for a couple years and love it...although it was TIGHT at first until the cheek pads broke in. Once they did this is the only helmet I've put on and just felt like it fit like a glove. I did a write up on it and am thinking about getting a new one. Also looking into the O'neal helmets (if I can find one to try one). Write up here: http://2wheels2nuts.blogspot.com/2009/03/review-scorpion-exo-400-helmet.html

as far as cheaply priced chinese made helmets go.... I have heard a lot of good things about the Scorpion helmets.... I guess they got a good factory... I'd consider one.. if I wasn't hooked on AGV or Shoei and didn't have any spare cash to lay out on a helmet... I'd rather skip going out a couple nights in a month and putting that cash to something I want... rather than settle for a cheaper product...

Fortunately I have 2 AGV helmets now (owned 4 over the years), 4 visors that are interchangeable between the 2 helmets too... and the AGV visor removal/reattachment process is super easy...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts