Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know the proper term for the snap that holds the two straps together when you carry the helmet but anyway has anyone had problems with theirs holding well? My wife and I have both dropped our helmets multiple times carrying our HJC's. Its the only thing I havent like about the helmet so far. I dont remember this being a problem with my Scorpion. Is this just an HJC problem, a model specific problem or a problem with most helmets? Does anyone have a good solution short of buckle the strap?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Well considering the snap is only there to keep the end of the strap from flopping around during use, I can see how it likely wasn't designed to keep the weight of the helmet.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well considering the snap is only there to keep the end of the strap from flopping around during use, I can see how it likely wasn't designed to keep the weight of the helmet.
I have always been told it is to carry the helmet. It makes no sense to use it to keep the strap from flopping around considering it is on the wrong side if that were the purpose.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Never thought about carrying my Helmet via the little snap. My current helmet just has a magnet to hold the strap so it wouldnt hold regardless. My previous helmet did have the snap but it doesnt seem like something that could reliably hold the weight. I just open the visor and hold it by the front over the nose guard

Current: Bell Star
Previous: Bell Arrow

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never thought about carrying my Helmet via the little snap. My current helmet just has a magnet to hold the strap so it wouldnt hold regardless. My previous helmet did have the snap but it doesnt seem like something that could reliably hold the weight. I just open the visor and hold it by the front over the nose guard
My nose guard would come off if I carried it around like that. The snap turning it into a handle is way more convenient when walking around.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mine is just to keep the end from flapping around. Wouldn't trust it to carry the weight of the helmet.
Same here. What specific helmet is it? I just grab mine with the visor opened by the chin bar / next to the breath guard. Works fine.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surprising since the shop I bought my first helmet at told me that and all my friends do the same.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same here. What specific helmet is it? I just grab mine with the visor opened by the chin bar / next to the breath guard. Works fine.
The breath guard comes off every time I try to grab it there. Its the HJC IS-16.

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
That.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Learn something new every day I suppose. How do you all stand carrying the helmet around off the bike or does everyone just leave it on the bike? I dont trust mine there and holding it by the actual helmet would be obnoxious after 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My nose guard would come off if I carried it around like that. The snap turning it into a handle is way more convenient when walking around.
Hold up... you're saying if you carried your helmet like this, you'd break it!?

Wow... I have to struggle to take the breath guard off of mine. You sure it's secured correctly?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hold up... you're saying if you carried your helmet like this, you'd break it!?

Not sure I'd want to ride with a helmet that fragile...
No its held down by 3 little snap things and grabbing it like that causes them to come unsnapped. Its annoying and why I purposefully never grab my helmet there.

ETA: Plus, I dont like the idea of carrying the helmet with the visor open because if you do drop it, it increases the chance of damaging the visor.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you want to carry the helmet by the strap, buckle it first. The snap,is to keep the end of the strap from flopping in the wind.

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
Learn something new every day I suppose. How do you all stand carrying the helmet around off the bike or does everyone just leave it on the bike? I dont trust mine there and holding it by the actual helmet would be obnoxious after 10 minutes or so.
I carry mine most of the time, but if I really have to leave it in the bike I use the helmet holder built in under the seat using the helmet's D-ring.

When I carry it, I usually hold it from its side, upside down, grabbing one of the cheek pads.

Obviously not me but I have no problems carrying it like this. I just hook my fingers around the breath guard so that there is virtually no weight on the guard(mine will pull out) and the helmet just sorta balances out.

http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/bloom-helmet/orlando-bloom-motorcycle-helmet-03.jpg

Some breath guards may fall off if you carry it like Orlando Bloom.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Buckle the D-ring and hold the strap that way.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If you want to carry the helmet by the strap, buckle it first. The snap,is to keep the end of the strap from flopping in the wind.
This, as also recommended by magazines. They say that this is the best way to do it actually. I tried a couple of times when my lid was new then quickly reverted to carrying it by the chin bar. The breath guard on mine is attached securely.

Outside of the meh venting I love my helmet.

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
Or you can kick your helmet around ;D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts