Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this was an article printed in motorcyclist magazine a little while ago, and i think it's worthy of a read, despite the length. *very* in depth. talks about the DOT/SNELL ratings, and what safety level you might or might not be getting with your helmet.

article

(if anyone cant open the link, post here and ill c/p it.)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Very interesting article! I had heard about this from a friend, one of the reasons I just orderd the scorpion EXO400.

I am also considering writing a letter to the snell foundation. I'm not saying I trust this article over them, but I am interested in hearing their response to it.

Only a fool would ignore a new idea. I want to know if they have at least considiered these possibilites. After all...I want to ride for years! Not roll around in a wheelchair cuz my brain was bruised or something stupid.

N

·
0 Posts
Before you write that letter, do a quick search of the forum.

IIRC, this is the third time this topic has come up. One of the other two threads contained a detailed rebuttal from Snell that Motorcyclist apparently didn't see fit to reprint. Their response throws some doubt on Motorcyclist's research and testing.

:)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
snell rating is unimportant to me, dot is the legal requirement, fit is my only concern,

maybe a snell helmet is more protective, but not substantially more protective and won't make a difference in 99.9999% of get offs IMHO

·
Registered
398 Posts
Been discussed to death.
Bottom line is I trust snell more than some motorcycle journalist. I just dont think the article shows the whole picture.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
ls14ever said:
Been discussed to death.
Bottom line is I trust snell more than some motorcycle journalist. I just dont think the article shows the whole picture.
What makes you trust Snell over BSI or ECE? Do the Europeans trust our Snell standard?

So I guess this means I can drop my Snell approved HJC helmet from a height of 10 feet and still expect it to protect my head in a single impact accident? :lol:

·
Registered
398 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
ls14ever said:
Been discussed to death.
What makes you trust Snell over BSI or ECE? Do the Europeans trust our Snell standard?

So I guess this means I can drop my Snell approved HJC helmet from a height of 10 feet and still expect it to protect my head in a single impact accident? :lol:
I trust BSI or ECE more than I trust journalists. Journalists have a tendancy to sensationalise things to sell more copies. Bottom line is they arent scientists who have spent years analylising what makes helmets safe. Maybe they have something, maybe they dont. The one thing that is for sure, is that the article is a very narrow and uneducated (not the same as stupid mind you) view.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts