Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed while doing highway riding (65+MPH) that my helmet (HJC AC-11) seems to flop around on my head. During city driving, my helmet seems snug, with just a bit of wiggle room. It's only at the higher speeds that it feels like it's floating and moving around. Is this a typical feeling that you guys get when riding at higher speeds?

I've been debating on getting a new helmet, but I'm not sure how to tell if a new helmet will have the same problem (feels snug, but floats at speed).

*edit - sure would help to spell helmit correctly :p

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well if it's flopping around due to wind, think what would happen during an accident. For fit, a new helmet should be almost too tight, then it will break in and be snug but comfortable.

The wind and aerodynamics may just be such that it's tossing it around. Is the helmet and your head moving or just the helmet bouncing on your head?

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah I had a new Shoei RF-1000, size L... I tried on the M, but it was TOO tight... so I went with the next size, which was snug... but after 1 month of use, its now feels less snug on highways ~80mph... But I know if I get a M, then it will be painfull... But if you helmet is moving around at all, you'll need a better fit.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Helmets will 'grow' roughly an entire size as the liners break in.

There should be NO 'wiggle room' of any sort sitting still. Your cheeks should be compressed and the whole thing should fit quite snugly. Over time - it'll loosen up, but not so much as to be ill-fitting.

This is why you don't let others wear your lid. Their headshape is different and can bugger up the fit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmmmm I had a similar situation. I found my older, back-up HJC helmet to be more comfortable than my Arai. I know, this may be the only case of this known to man! Only problem with the HJC was a "little too loose" fit. So I got one of these:

http://www.fogdog.com/fog-under-armour-skull-cap--pi-1438990.html

Now the helmet is perfect! I also enjoy a newfound Urban Cred with the MotorCity OG's.

RobD

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
RobDog said:
Hmmmm I had a similar situation. I found my older, back-up HJC helmet to be more comfortable than my Arai. I know, this may be the only case of this known to man! Only problem with the HJC was a "little too loose" fit. So I got one of these:

http://www.fogdog.com/fog-under-armour-skull-cap--pi-1438990.html

Now the helmet is perfect! I also enjoy a newfound Urban Cred with the MotorCity OG's.

RobD

Doesn't Jeff Garcia wear something like that? ;D

j/k ...... but he does.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I tried on helmets at the local shop, the L felt extremely tight, almost painful. The XL felt snug and I wasn't able to wiggle it on my head. The guy I talked too wasn't much help, basically told me I'd know if the fit was correct.

I've had it for about 6 months now, so I assume it has broken in some, which may be causing the loose feeling. I think I will look into a different brand of helmet or at least a sock for my head.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
899 Posts
My advice, and I have owned them all as a helmet whore, is try as many as you can!!! (Warning! This advice in other areas of your life can get you in trouble!) Different manufactures fit differently, so get out there and slap em on! One more point my daddy taught me was in life you pretty much get what you pay for, so with that said, look at a Shoei or Arai. They are expensive (compaired to the HJC), but then again, whats your head worth??? I'm almost done. Then once you find a nice helmet that FITS right, check out ebay and often times you can find the same helmet brand new for a lot less $! Good luck man!

·
Registered
397 Posts
don't get the really tight ones...it might feel good for the first 30 minutes but after that it starts to cut circulation and then the pain comes...I have a shoei rf-900 M and it fits nice and tight, no pain and what not...but once i start riding for more then lke 30 - 40 minutes, it starts to hurt my temples...A LOT!!!...so glad my exo-700 is in the mail...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went down to the a reputable shop today (DSR Powersports) and tried on a ton of different helmets. I ended up liking the Suomy and Shoei best, and decided on the Shoei RF-1000. I was amazed how much lighter the helmet is compared to others. All in all the guys there were excellent and put up with my myriad of questions, multiple decisions, and really helped out.

I also found out that the downtown bicycle cops don't like when motorcycles park on the sidewalks. Someone was kind enough to let me know he was out writing a ticket, so I was able to get a verbal warning instead.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I hate it when they do that! I have been told by store owners not to park in the bicycle parking area before. I think people are just jealous that you can get a good parking spot!

What model RF-1000 did you get (solid color, graphic, etc) I have a couple of RF-1000s and they are one of my favorites. Fit is great, protection is the best and venting is awesome!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Main reason i ride my bike to school is for the parking... Not having to walk a mile is nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cyclerider105 said:
I hate it when they do that! I have been told by store owners not to park in the bicycle parking area before. I think people are just jealous that you can get a good parking spot!

What model RF-1000 did you get (solid color, graphic, etc) I have a couple of RF-1000s and they are one of my favorites. Fit is great, protection is the best and venting is awesome!

I have a thing for dragons (tatoos, collectables, paintings, etc..) so I went with the Duhamel model. It's a pretty kick arse helmet with twin dragons on it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
the cheek pads should always be in contact with your face, but not enough to squeeze your cheeks into your mouth.

Don't trust the measurement guides on brand websites. They generally say I should be a size small, but small is far too tight, while medium is perfect.

·
Registered
197 Posts
oh and if you want to get a new well priced lid... get a Scorpion

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
remember that with ARai's, you can get different shickness cheek pads to customize the fit

when I first bought my Signet e, first I tried on the different headshapes to fine the right sheap, then the salesman had me try the large & extra large for size, then he started swapping cheekpads,

I ended up with a Signet e with 20mm cheek pads instead of the standard 25mm cheekpads that are normally in the helmet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts