Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Helmet took a spill today - it dropped from the left passenger peg to gravel (bike was at rest, on kickstand). This can't have been a significant enough impact to warrant buying a new one, could it? I just bought it about a month ago so I'm not too thrilled.

2. To make this thread more than a list of yes/no responses, I'm also looking into upgrading my ****ty Teknic gloves. All I really do is commute to work, but I can't help scooting off the seat and leaning over whenever I see an on-ramp, so I've been gearing up this year with protection being my main concern (~$500 spent so far). I've quickly become one of these ATGATT nerds in the span of a couple of weeks, and cringe whenever I think about my first year (last year) of riding and how often it was in just shorts and a tshirt.

Again, to supplement thread content: my previous riding gear --> what is now my every day, every time, regardless of weather conditions, ride duration and/or ride distance gear...

- Dangerously oversized hand-me-down HJC FS-15 --> Scorpion EXO1000 helmet
- Dangerously oversized hand-me-down Alpinestars TZ-1 --> Cortech Piuma leather jacket
- Jeans/shorts --> Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 textile pants
- Tennis shoes --> Axo Primato II / Cortech Latigo RR boots (both on order; comparison pics and short review to come. Axo boots will likely be posted for sale, NIB and unused, under retail. The Latigo's look like they offer more protection, so I will probably keep them. Size 11.)
- Teknic Chicane gloves --> ?
- This is where I need help. I'm looking for the best protection I can get for under $150 (from what I've read, that means double stitched as often as possible, kangaroo/stingray/goatskin/cowhide leather, hard armor (not padding) on knuckles, wrist and side of hand, and a quality sinching mechanism(s) at the wrist).

I realize I'm not likely to find all of this in one glove at this price, but I wanted to show that I didn't just post this without doing any homework. Front Pilot Power 2CT needs to get ordered before the Hocking Hills trip next week, so I figured I'd grab a pair of gloves while I'm at it.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Your helmet is fine.

If you wan't new gloves. Get them. Gloves are probably cheaper than whatever you might do to your hand in the event of a crash. If you think your gloves are sup-par, they just might be.

And PM me if you decide to sell those boots :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Do you have specific concerns with your current gloves?

One of my favourite gloves for ROI is the Alpinestars SP2

If your budget increases, I suggest you visit Held.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The large Teknic Chicane's are the only gloves I've ever owned. I think my hands are a bit big for medium, but I could be wrong.

The main thing that's prompting me to shop for new ones is that the (large) Chicane's are slightly too big for me and I can tell my dexterity suffers a lot. Aside from that, the stitching is fraying in parts all over the gloves, and protection feels minimal down the back side of the fingers and in the palm/wrist area.

I was looking at the GP Plus (2011), SP-1 (2011) and SP-2 (2012) on STG. Weather permitting I think I'll try to ride up there over the weekend to try a few things on.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm an A* whore but their gloves have the worst reviews ever published.
That said I have cortech gloves and I love them, I got them for about $30ish?
I cannot provide an exact amount, purchased them with a shoei RF-1100 and with tax came to $541 total.

I had a similar post a while back when my lid dropped from the passenger mirror.
Your's will be fine coming from a foot peg. I ended up replacing my visor b/c I am picky and couldn't live with the scuff marks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've been happy with Joe Rocket and Tourmaster gloves, but most of my gloves I bought at the dealer and had the advantage of trying on and looking at. I know I can be happy with a medium or large, so I do OK ordering online now too. 9I probably have too many gloves)

·
MOTORADOR
10,964 Posts
:panic:

Run for your life, your helmet is gonna blow with your head in it!

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'm just gonna plan on trying some on at STG, but please chime in with any +1's on gloves in this price range.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Unless you cracked the shell, your helmet is fine.

Gloves: Cortech Adrenaline are a really good glove for the price (around $80). I recently upgraded to the Teknic Xcelerator, which are fantastic, but they typically run close to $200. Check out the gloves offered by Spartan Leathers -- good value for the money.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I love my pair of A* SP2's. I got them for $100 iirc. My purchase list is on my other computer, but I believe I've put ~3500 miles and one wreck on them in about 15 months, and I have only done ~200 miles in the last 7 months.

The rubber A* logo will wear off pretty fast, but that is a cosmetic adhesive issue. The rest of the glove has held up great, and I've done ~1000 miles on them since my wreck. Here are pictures from right after my wreck:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love my pair of A* SP2's. I got them for $100 iirc. My purchase list is on my other computer, but I believe I've put ~3500 miles and one wreck on them in about 15 months, and I have only done ~200 miles in the last 7 months.

The rubber A* logo will wear off pretty fast, but that is a cosmetic adhesive issue. The rest of the glove has held up great, and I've done ~1000 miles on them since my wreck. Here are pictures from right after my wreck:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4686/img1404g.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5489/img1405h.jpg
Thanks for the pics. Did your palms see the pavement, or just the back side?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Another vote for A* SP-2! Great gloves. Had mine for 2+ riding seasons (about 6k miles) and no issues at all. If you buy them, get 1 size larger than normal or you'll be exchanging them.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I got my speed and strength twist of fate ST Gloves on closeout for like $25. I cant seem to find them for less than $70 now. I crashed in them and they held up so well, I picked up a second pair and keep my crashed ones for backup. As far as your helmet goes, I have dropped mine probably 10 times now. Its fine.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Did your palms see the pavement, or just the back side?
I think my palms hit once, but no damage to them at all. My crash was a tankslapper buck into three barrel rolls, so the damage was mainly impact related, and not slide abrasion. I fully believe they would survive your average motorcycle crash and slide though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts