Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, are black helmets hotter to wear? I assumed that they were, but the two guys I know who have them say no.

A local dealer has a black Arai Astral on special in my size and I was just wondering what someone who has owned various colors has noticed about the darker colors relative to heat. I've always owned lighter colors myself.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would imagine there's enough seperating your head from the shell of the helmet that it wouldn't matter.

The shell itself may be hotter...but I doubt it would radiate through the foam....which is an insulating material.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
black helmets get hot. do you notice inside? not really. but if you leave it on your bike when you park, it's gonna be hot.

those who are saying your black helmet isn't hot in the sun, have you had a non-black helmet to compare it to?

i had a totally black helmet. it was hot. i know have a silver/white/black design and it's noticibly cooler

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
stranger said:
black helmets get hot. do you notice inside? not really. but if you leave it on your bike when you park, it's gonna be hot.

those who are saying your black helmet isn't hot in the sun, have you had a non-black helmet to compare it to?
Yes. But again, a black helmet has never been 'too' hot for my head. Just make sure it vents well, and you'll be fine. I have more issues with my black leathers than my black helmet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a black for a while and then a bright red. Sure the red is a wee bit cooler if it's in the sun but I very rarely leave my helmet sitting with the bike - if I had an Arai I'd probably never leave it! Also I have HJCs... those Arai's have incredibly good venting so I don't think it'd be an issue at all. I say go for it!

·
Registered
703 Posts
No other color to compare to but my Scorpion EX700 Raider (black and yellow) doesn't seem hot at all. I also think it's cooler when I have the dark visor on instead of getting the greenhouse effect through a clear visor.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
stranger said:
i had a totally black helmet. it was hot.
I have an XL black helmet.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I have a black HJC Symax and a White Arai signet

when going down the road I don't notice any difference, however stopped in traffic, I notice the air that I am breathing is warmer, luckily the black one is a flip face

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Abe Froman said:
No other color to compare to but my Scorpion EX700 Raider (black and yellow) doesn't seem hot at all. I also think it's cooler when I have the dark visor on instead of getting the greenhouse effect through a clear visor.
clear shields seem to be much warmer in direct sun, and makes more of a difference than the color of the helmet

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I think everyone is kinda overlooking the fact that most helmets are filled with styrofoam so it's just like a big open face igloo cooler. The heat doesn't penetrate the insulation effect of the foam no matter what color it is. It's only hot or cool inside due to the air flowing in thru the neck, face shield opening or vents.

But then again I could be wrong. ;)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Only if it is worn on the inside.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I asked the guys at Helmet Harbor this very question a couple of years ago. They've told me that, yes, the darker colors are as much as 2 degrees warmer.

Is that enough for someone to change helmets?

That's up to you.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Never noticed a difference

I've had helmets ranging from solid white to solid black. Never noticed a difference. Never noticed a difference between dark and clear face shields either. I now have a silver Arai, mostly the same results, although the venting is really good.

One thing mentioned above is true, in my experience. If you leave a black helmet sitting in the sun it does seem to get hotter on the inside than a light colored helmet.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I learned quickly not to leave my black helmet in the sun when stopped, however, riding I don't think there is a difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts