Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you for having me here!

Okay so I'm looking to seriously buy an SV really soon and I would like you to know a little bit about my situation.

I'm a broke graduate student that has been riding for over a year now and is currently riding an EX500 and honestly have been really tired of looking at this fugly bike day in and day out. I've been wanting to upgrade for awhile now.

I initially got a bike to to commute and save money on gas. It quickly turned into an obsession and I quickly realized that the EX was just not a good looking bike. I am also craving more power. I'm a tall guy at 6' 3" 190 and feel a bit scrunched up even though the riding position is more relaxed. It just doesn't feel natural.

So I've been debating on whether or not to get an SS. I love the riding position and the sporty look and feel. It must be a 600 to maintain good gas mileage and my budget is $2800-$3200. I'm looking at a mint condition 06 SV on craigslist right now for $3100 with only 3k mi. My riding will be mostly highway going to work and school and a little touring. I also like the SV for not being an SS and keeping my insurance dirt cheap.

So I guess the question is do you think the SV is the perfect bike for me? All I really want is a nice looking bike that will be reliable, get good gas mileage, and be a good step between my 500 and for whenever I graduate, get a good job and can buy a 1000+.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome from another svr noob. I just upgraded from a gs500 to an sv. I enjoy the bike and am learning alot from it. As I'm sure you've discovered the sv is the most logical choice when compared to an ss and is more bike than anyone technically "needs" on the street. In addition that particular bike seems like a pretty good deal....However, I don't know if I've developed the fanatical love that so many have just yet. I still find my self dreaming over a 600: the ergos, the power, the suspension, and that oh so lovely scream. That being said I am having a lot of fun on the sv and don't feel underwhelmed. I just still occasionally lust after other bikes. sv or ss, you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
661 Posts
the SV sounds like it will be a great upgrade for you. I had a Bandit 600S prior to picking up my SV1000S.

The SV was better in pretty much every imaginable way. They're considered standard/touring bikes by insurance, so your premiums will be low. They're easy on the eyes, get great MPG on 87 grade and are easy to maintain. For $3k at this time of year you should be able to get a lot of bike.

Fwiw, after I wrecked my SV I got an '07 R1 and now an '02 RC51. Both are great bikes that have their purposes, but for daily use/commuting the SV is a better ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you! you both have helped me with my decision to go ahead and get an sv.

Random: The sv's taillight is the sexiest thing i've ever seen.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Random: The sv's taillight is the sexiest thing i've ever seen.
Even though it's a 9-year-old design, I agree, it's one of the best looking stock taillights out there. There are several folks who have modified the undertray on their RC51s to accept the SV tail light. In fact, I've everything I need to do it sitting in my garage right now too!

Good luck on your search for the SV!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Post pics when you get it. And that 500 you have might be ugly but sounds like it served you well.
It really has I must say. I was just thinking about that today. Honestly I neglect it, but I still change the oil on the regular. It surprises me with how reliable it has been. It starts up first time every single time. The only reasons I want to get rid of it are because its so ugly and the riding position.

Another question: How does the riding position on the SV compare to the EX? I know they are both classified as sport touring, but the SV does look to have lowers bars and a more aggressive stance. I always felt so lame sitting almost upright on my EX. I'm a fairly tall guy at 6'2" with longs arms so yea.

I need to just go find one to just sit on and see for myself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't worry about feeling "lame". Ride what you feel comfortable on, don't give a **** about what other people are thinking of you. Motorcycling is about enjoying your ride, not posing for other people. If upright is what suits you, then roll with it. I've had both an SV650s with the lower clipons and a naked SV650 with the riser bars, and I loved the riser bars not only for the comfort factor but for the way it handled and felt so quick to toss around. I don't enjoy being on a bike with clipons very much any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts