Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently just bought a brand new 2019 SV650X. I've been riding for about 3 years+ now. This is my first middle-weight displacement bike. Prior to it, I was and still occasionally ride a 2008 Honda CBR150R. The reasons why I got a SV650X are as follow
1) I'm vertically challenged at 5ft/1.53m
2) V-Twins/L-Twins aside from Harleys & Ducatis are rare in my country
3) 600cc is more than enough to enjoy on Singapore roads as a daily ride without breaking the bank too much. Most riders ride 150cc to 400cc motorcycles here
4) Vehicles here are very expensive. My SV650X costs S$26K
5) Both sports bike and cafe racers are my favourite type of bikes so this fits the aesthetics perfectly

Hope to meet great people here! Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
826 Posts
Welcome to SVR Bahzeal. That's a beautiful motorcycle. I love the white ones. Enjoy your ride, and stay active in the forums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome nice bike. I just joined my self lots to learn here about our bikes:cool:
Hope to see around here too!
Welcome to the forum! So you paid over $19,000 USD for your bike? Wow. Do smaller displacement bikes have a 200% premium on the manufacturer's price as well?
Thank you and that's correct.

In summary, what makes first-hand bikes expensive are 2 major things. ARF (additional registration fee) which I am not too entirely sure because it's a rather new system. In summary the ARF is calculated based on a percentage (the ARF rate) of your vehicle’s Open Market Value (OMV). Basically the more expensive your bike is, the more you have to fork out. COE (certificate of entitlement) COE is not based on displacement but rather based on bidding which you have to renew every 5 or 10 years depending on what option you picked. Precovid times they were quite low, hovering around 4K SGD on average. However recently it's been sky-high at around 9.5K SGD. What this means is if you want to buy a brand new s1000r, pay 9.5K on top of machine price and other stuff, new moped? Pay additional 9.5K as well.

Second hand bikes are a different matter, there are still arf and coe stuff to take note of, but the previous owner would have already paid for ARF and COE so they will adjust their price accordingly. So the only thing you have to do is pay for COE and road tax when those 2 expire

You can check it out here to find out more about it if you like Singapore Vehicle Tax Structure

·
Registered
786 Posts
I see. Thank you for this detailed explanation. So it seems the government strictly limits the quantity of vehicles on the road and buyers have to bid for the permit to buy a new vehicle. Quite the system...

Given how constipated the roads in NYC are these days, that's some food for thought. (Haha, who am I kidding, Americans would fight for their right to have cheap cars, fuel, and guns, not so much to keep their democracy, but I digress).

I found this on the site you mentioned:
The Vehicle Quota System (VQS) caps the number of new vehicles that can be registered in Singapore. This helps to control the vehicle population in Singapore given the limited road space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts