Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Over a year ago a good buddy at work dared me to ride offroad and I was hooked. So after picking up a KX250 and really digging the freedom of movement riding gives (and talking for hours with a few guys who ride to work every day), I started looking into riding on the street. Long story short, my wife and I are getting our MSF courses soon and adding a streetbike to the garage. It wasn't difficult to narrow the search to an SV, as one work buddy (who rides a Vstrom 1K) fed me all the intel on these bikes. What a great match of reliability and performance.

So hopefully we'll have good luck in our search for a clean SV650. I have two lined up to check out so we'll see how those shake out. BTW this is my 40th birthday present to myself....yeah, that's how I'll explain all the new gear to my wallet. Of course, going froma 14mpg hotrod to 40+mpg makes that an easier transition.

Off to read the builds, later!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
welcome! that's awesome that your wife is interested in it just as much as you are!

what kinda hot rod do you got? my dad built a 36 chevy 4door sedan and i've got a 63 ford ranchero as my daily vehicle when i'm not on my SV.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks!

FoxRacer: I'm in Bakersfield, so you can imagine I'll pick riding days carefully. I know that you know how heat is (used to live in Solvang and worked in Paso on and off....that's an oven lol). Come to think, I'll probably be in Paso for the next gun show, to buy other birfday gifts for myself.

I'll ride mostly to/from work, but one good friend (with the Vstrom) knows all the good twisties around Kern County. I know these may not be great two-up bikes, but we plan on short trips when we can get a sitter. The second streetbike will come next year, and I'm thinking Super Duke 990 since it fits me like a glove. From what I read I'll never sell the SV. Well, my wife won't let me, as she said it'll become hers when we get a second one.

Cars: 2008 G8GT (work car but wife looks at it more and more since the '06 Tundra is a bit less fun), 1989 5.0 Mustang (redone from ground up, ate its oil pump and 350HP of gas guzzler, getting a non-5.0 when the time comes), 1990 Pontiac Formula350 (have the 383, need to restore the body and drop the new bullet in), and my baby, a 1965 Buick Skylark. Did a big block/TH400 swap back in the early 1990s, but with the power it made it wasn't practical. Still isn't and still won't be once I learn to weld and put some boost to it........I've been a car guy for over three decades. If only building garages was as easy.

Oh, pics. Lemme see:

The G8, a few days after the 5.0 lost oil and I bit the 4-door bullet. At least it has 6.0 liters of whoop-butt:

The 5.0, after I painted it out (built my own booth on an RV pad, thanks to Mom for the space, heh):

The Formula, before getting a bulged hood and more fanTAStic GM paint peelage:

....darn, I don't have any good Buick pics. Oh well, I can toss in a bike pic. Please ignore the dent in the pipe, heh:

That's about all I can think of. Oh yeah, roger that on riding safe. We'll do like my Vstrom buddy says: "Ride like every cager is out to get you. No, really assume that." I'm taking him at his word.

I hope to find a good deal soon and get rolling. Wish me luck, and thanks again folks.

K

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Nice toys!;D I got a buddy who invested $30K in his mustang. I'll see if I can find some pics...

Here it is!...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Nice car collection.
I have a sister that lives east of Lamont. When I go visit her I like to take the 223 west off of the 58.
Also the little Beckenridge road up to lake Isabella is nice. The 155 that goes from Delano to lake Isa is nice....

I'll be going up there sometime in June if not sooner.

Welcome to the board...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a nice rig JPL. Talk about a serious cage!

Gerard: We're about 1.5 miles from Lamont. 223 rings a bell from ride discussions we have at the office, Breckenridge as well. I usually go 178 to Isabella, back when a certain restaurant was under the original ownership (heard bad things about quality under the new owners, pity). It's called Johnny McNally's, and every time we went we saw at least a pair of bikes. Neat bar in the place.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks folks. I built the collection up starting in 1991 with the Buick. And I was all set to mod that G8 until I saw how little a good bike costs. Now if only the dude on Craigslist would respond. I'm twitchin' with anticipation and we're picking the MSF days very soon...

Tight Ranchero dobbs. That ratrod would fit right in here in Bako.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts