Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all! i'm a new rider and i recently (a month ago or so) purchased a 2002 SV650s. i'm enjoying it a lot but the tinkerer in me wants to start modding it. is this a bad idea?

i pulled up behind a ducati at the stoplight the other day and i was extremely jealous of the low growl.

i'm thinking about installing a scorpion slip-on can, rejetting with a stage 1 kit, and adding a K&N air filter.

any suggestions/advice? am i stupid for wanting to mod my bike out so soon and being a new rider with no mechanical experience?

edit: oh, i'll also add that i was thinking about installing the pipe first and then rejetting some time later.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I were you, I'd start slow. The mods you mentioned would be a good start. Just don't do too much at once and forget how to put it back together. Manuals are a must for those who own a socket set....

·
Registered
827 Posts
what's up assmonger! welcome! you're not stupid for wanting to mod. mod the hell out of it if you want to......or do nothing.

assmonger, use the search function and type in what exhaust you're interested in (some members post video w/ sound), or go to youtube and find SV's with exhaust upgrades. you're headed in the right direction assmonger, but suspension upgrades really pay off well.

ducati envy isn't short lived. good luck with that, assmonger.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If you're a new rider, rule one...... Dont be jealous.
Enjoy your bike, learn to ride, and mods will eventually meld onto your bike.
Dont be in a hurry to put it all together. Concentrate on riding skills.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
what's up assmonger! welcome! you're not stupid for wanting to mod. mod the hell out of it if you want to......or do nothing.

assmonger, use the search function and type in what exhaust you're interested in (some members post video w/ sound), or go to youtube and find SV's with exhaust upgrades. you're headed in the right direction assmonger, but suspension upgrades really pay off well.

ducati envy isn't short lived. good luck with that, assmonger.
OK, ok,,,, we get it, we get it.... Its "Assmonger"...
lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gerard7aa, thanks for the advice i bought "Proficient Motorcycling" when i got my bike and i'm making my way through it... definitely trying to make sure i learn how to control my bike properly. if you have any other skills-related recommendations i would love to hear them!

thanks for the encouragement guys i think im going to install a new can some time in the next month.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Personally, I don't think you have to rejet just because you put on a slip-on. You'll find a lot of excellent how-to's with pics and write ups here. It's been a great help to me. The search function at the site isn't the best, though. You can search using Google. Just type in whatever it is that you're looking for, then add site:svrider.com to it. Probably the best tip someone gave me here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of exhaust system u can get for an 01 SV? But personally I wouldn't waste money on just a muffler. I would look into getting a full exhaust system to put on your bike especially if u plan on keeping the bike.
I like the M-4 and the Yoshi and to me they are about the same in sound.
In my personal opinion I feel that an M-4 exhaust will let other drivers know u are near which may save our life?
Besides It sounds good even if its not as sexy as a Harley.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do whatever you're comfortable with. Adding a K&N air filter is easy. I would also suggest saving for a full M4 system. Silencers are usually the most expensive component, and the full system will give you better sound and more power later. (after re-jetting) I run M4, and the quality is amazing. I still want a Ducati, but I think you bought the very next best bike available. Good job.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You might consider chopping the stock muffler before springing for a new one. It may just get you the sound you're after without the cash outlay.

But the mod bug is... forever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts